What Fish To Get For My Established Tank

ufo 550

Reaction score
I've recently had some advice on plants for my established tank: http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?/topic/406355-cant-keep-plants-alive/

I would now like some advice on some new fish, that won't start eating my new plants and will not cause issues with my current stock (5 x neon’s, 1 x red spotted guppy, 1 x zebra dino, 2 x Harlequins & 2 x Corydoras). I would like to perhaps have some specimen fish. I've had the tank for a couple of years, and water quality is good (use test kit). However, I've never got the combination right, e.g. had some swordtails that attacked everything and themselves & had two Gourami’s that only lasted a couple of months. I have only limited experience, so don't want anything too high maintenance. You advice sought please.

I've recently had some advice on plants for my established tank: http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?/topic/406355-cant-keep-plants-alive/

I would now like some advice on some new fish, that won't start eating my new plants and will not cause issues with my current stock (5 x neon’s, 1 x red spotted guppy, 1 x zebra dino, 2 x Harlequins & 2 x Corydoras). I would like to perhaps have some specimen fish. I've had the tank for a couple of years, and water quality is good (use test kit). However, I've never got the combination right, e.g. had some swordtails that attacked everything and themselves & had two Gourami’s that only lasted a couple of months. I have only limited experience, so don't want anything too high maintenance. You advice sought please.
It is hard to give suggestions without knowing what size tank you have. But Neons tetras should be in as large of groups as possible, same Harlequin rasboras, which is to say at least 6, if not 8. That said, impair numbers are thought to look better in smaller shoals (e.g. 7). The same for your Corydoras sp., they tend to like groups of 6. So you could start by building up properly sized shoals of the fish that you already have, try to rehome the extras, if you don't want to stock them higher. And then see what you have room for after the fact. That should increase confidence, which should make the tank more interesting. For example there was a thread running the other day on the forums about how Neon tetras tend not to school and to spread out around the tank in smaller groups like groups of 8 but will shoal nicely if the group size is doubles. No knowledge myself, but that an idea for a more interesting tank.

Otherwise, post your tank dimensions and I am sure someone can help you out!

Yep the size of the tank would of helped :rolleyes: Its an Aqua One UFO 550 (couldn't think of another user name!), 55 x 62 x 55cm,78L.

Well you can have 17 fish altogether because there is 17 gallons and each fish needs 1 gallon. So 6 more fish. I think you could get 1 or 2 more guppies because guppies are always happier if they have guppy friends. But I would suggest getting all of your new fish as males because the guppies, mollies and platies breed like mad.

My list (different fish so you can choose)

1 or 2 guppies (male)
2 platies (male)
1 or 2 mollies (male)
Neon tetra (3 or 4) only if you have not got 3 or 4 already
Tiger barbs (2) Unless you want to have a cherry and tiger barb

They are just a few choices but if you want you can just make bigger groups of the fish you already have. I would suggest trying to get at least 2 of all of the fish you have. Neon tetras need to be in groups of at least 4 because that will make them more comfortable and they will be able to school. It isn't important to have groups of 6 or 8 because they will mate with other species but I think having at least two of each is good.

Well you can have 17 fish altogether because there is 17 gallons and each fish needs 1 gallon.
This is incorrect and not the advice you were given by other members trying to sort out your own overstocked tank :/

The 'guideline' is 1" of adult fish (excluding tail) per gallon (for fish under 3") not 1 fish per gallon as you have stated.

All the fish I have stated grow to a certain size and I know this as I have been fishkeeping for 15 years.

The fish I have stated are correct because I have a similar combination and they all get along nicely

All the fish I have stated grow to a certain size and I know this as I have been fishkeeping for 15 years.

The fish I have stated are correct because I have a similar combination and they all get along nicely

Not true, unfortunately. I would strongly advise against 2 (or any number) of Tiger Barbs in a tank that size.. there would be world war III with those Guppys :sad: Five Banded Barb are usually a more 'mellow' alternative, wether they would be comfortable in 78L of water might be debatable though.

ufo 550, have you looked at Endler Guppy..? I had half a dozen in my original 30L tank and no doubt they would look great in bigger numbers (possibly males only) :fish:

Terry.

They have been okay for me but they can be like that. Just like siamese fighters and guppies.

Well you can have 17 fish altogether because there is 17 gallons and each fish needs 1 gallon.
I personally don't use "fish inch" as a means to decide stocking levels.
I post this list quite often but I feel it's a good measure to use when considering stocking levels.

max fish size
temperament
type of food
quantity of food
metabolism
fish compatibility
coral compatibility
invert compatibility
substrate requirements
swimming requirements
swimming ability
flow requirements
sensitivity to changes in parameters
sensitivity to water quality issues
sleeping habits
rock work requirements
lighting preference
body shape (deep keeled vs shallow)
territorial requirements (I can only keep 1 male clown goby in my 210 gallon tank and that fish is tiny).
escape and jumping potential
temperature requirements (temperate vs tropical also temp range and how temp affects metabolism)
growth rate

It is hard to give suggestions without knowing what size tank you have. But Neons tetras should be in as large of groups as possible, same Harlequin rasboras, which is to say at least 6, if not 8. That said, impair numbers are thought to look better in smaller shoals (e.g. 7). The same for your Corydoras sp., they tend to like groups of 6. So you could start by building up properly sized shoals of the fish that you already have, try to rehome the extras, if you don't want to stock them higher. And then see what you have room for after the fact. That should increase confidence, which should make the tank more interesting. For example there was a thread running the other day on the forums about how Neon tetras tend not to school and to spread out around the tank in smaller groups like groups of 8 but will shoal nicely if the group size is doubles. No knowledge myself, but that an idea for a more interesting tank.

Otherwise, post your tank dimensions and I am sure someone can help you out!

Perhaps to start I should follow 'r.w.girard' advice, and just restock what I have. Unfortunately in the past I have lost some of my 'groups' of fish and just left with the one, i.e. guppy, 1 x zebra dino, 2 x Harlequins. I'm trying to understand the argument on my tank size in relation to the number of fish I currently have. Am I at my limit now? Is that why I haven't lost any fish in the last few months?

That's a good point. When I keep schooling or shoaling fish I know that I will need to maintain that group as often (especially with schoolers) a single fish will do poorly. That can be quite a commitment to maintain.

Most reactions

Back