What fish should I get for my tank

Beginner_Sam

Reaction score
I’m a beginner dude for fish. Im going tomorrow to buy fish for my tank. Suggest me some fish for my 37-gallon tank.

I’m a beginner dude for fish. Im going tomorrow to buy fish for my tank. Suggest me some fish for my 37-gallon tank.
Sorry but can't give any advice. First there are questions that need answered such as if the tank has been cycled, what are the water parameters and such.

Different fish need different water and it is a must that we know your type of water to even begin to offer advice as to a fish population.

Please do NOT buy fish until all the above is resolved.

What are the tank dimensions (length x width x height)?
Try to get an aquarium that is long and wide rather than one that is tall and narrow. Surface area (length x width) is better for the fish.

------------------

What is the GH (general hardness), KH (carbonate hardness) and pH of your water supply?
This information can usually be obtained from your water supply company's website (Water Analysis Report) or by telephoning them. If they can't help you, take a glass full of tap water to the local pet shop and get them to test it for you. Write the results down (in numbers) when they do the tests. And ask them what the results are in (eg: ppm, dGH, or something else).

Depending on what the GH of your water is, will determine what fish you should keep.

Angelfish, discus, most tetras, most barbs, Bettas, gouramis, rasbora, Corydoras and small species of suckermouth catfish all occur in soft water (GH below 150ppm) and a pH below 7.0.

Livebearers (guppies, platies, swordtails, mollies), rainbowfish and goldfish occur in medium hard water with a GH around 200-250ppm and a pH above 7.0.

If you have very hard water (GH above 300ppm) then look at African Rift Lake cichlids, or use distilled or reverse osmosis water to reduce the GH and keep fishes from softer water.

------------------

When you are at the pet shop, make a list of fish and plants you like and post it here, along with the GH, KH & pH, and tank dimensions. Then we can go through it and make suggestions about what goes well with each other, in your tank.

Agree. Please don't buy any fish, and do not for any reason listen to advice on fish from store employees. There are dozens of threads on this forum alone where such advice turned into a disaster, and killed fish.

As you can see, multiple members are giving you the advice to wait for a reason. But I do understand the urge to buy fish now. But we all mean well.

As you can see, multiple members are giving you the advice to wait for a reason. But I do understand the urge to buy fish now. But we all mean well.

@Beginner_Sam

I agree with the above quote about understanding the desire to stock a new tank. I mean that is why one puts out, often, a LOT of money to set one up; to put in fish and enjoy the new friends. Please be patient and make sure that your tank is ready for fish before adding.

One of the things that really ticks me off is stores that claim that "buy this and add to the water and everything is fine. Go ahead and add fish right away... let me show you these great fish for your tank.". The result is too often dead fish and a frustrated new fish keeper.

We are not advising for you to wait to frustrate you. We are advising to try to help you have the best and most enjoyable experience. To make what may not be the best analogy would you buy a used car just by what the seller said or would you check things out to be sure all was OK?

Most reactions

Back