What Else Can I Do...

kg4t

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Ive been takin care of a male CT, beautiful colors. he was suffering from fin rot, and Possibly depression.
Ive been adding bettafix and watter changes (bottle says not to untill 7 days, but i have to he poops alot =\ aint lettin him swim in that ha)
But its been aprox:4-5 days and his fins r lookin really good, n he seems happier!
What else can I do to make him feel better ? (foods, other meds.)

Cant wait till he feels better he got a 10 Gal. tank waitinggggg

So plz betta friends! Help me help my betta!! :D

Well, Bettafix is really good stuff, It's a great all around remedy for bettas. In the future though just get Melafix. It's the same syuff but more concentrated so you use less. Just add 10 drops per gallon instead of the recommended dosage and it'll be the same as the Bettafix. For food, the general concensus here is Hikari Bio Gold pellets are the best everyday food. Give him 2-3 pellets twice a day, once in the morning and once in the evening. You can also get him frozen or freeze dried treats like blood worms, black works, glass worms, daphnia, or brine shrimp. The frozen is better than the freeze dried as freeze dried foods can lead to constipation. Give him these treats sparingly, a small pinch of daphnia or one or two individual worms/shrimp for everything else, once or twice a week only as excess protien can also lead to constipation and thus swim bladder problems. Also, freshwater aquarium salt is great, or you can just use kosher/rock salt from the grocery store, but not regular table salt as it contains iodine which will kill him. Add 1/2 teaspoon per gallon of water. The salt is good at reducing stress and helps control the level of some microorganisms that can make him sick. Finally, be sure you are doing enough water changes. If he's in a 1 gallon, do 1 100% water change or 2 50% water changes a week. If it's smaller or larger, change it accordingly. For the 10 gallon tank, try to cycle it first (there's post on here on how to do fishless cycling). If you don't know what cycling a tank is, it's building up a culture of aerobic nitrifying bacteria in the tank that break harmful nitrites down into less harmful nitrates. Aside from this, just make sure he's warm enough (between 72 and 78 degrees Fahrenheit) and he'll be fine. Post some pics of the little guy for us so we can see him. Good luck! :hyper:

Thank you so much for this great information!!! I really appriciate it so does my CT =)

if u can try puttin a small bubble filter,, teh are good for keeping the good bactiria in them adn as lond as u keep the air flow low it shouldnt ditrurb him much ,, just hid the ugly thing with a plant lol, try ur lfs for sme used stuff,, hte ones in my area have good uses stuff, just make sure its really clean before u use it,, after washing ,, no soap,, try soakin it in a melifix bath over night,, just to kill off any old wierd stuff that might be in it ,,, so u can start off clean

if u can try puttin a small bubble filter,, teh are good for keeping the good bactiria in them adn as lond as u keep the air flow low it shouldnt ditrurb him much ,, just hid the ugly thing with a plant lol, try ur lfs for sme used stuff,, hte ones in my area have good uses stuff, just make sure its really clean before u use it,, after washing ,, no soap,, try soakin it in a melifix bath over night,, just to kill off any old wierd stuff that might be in it ,,, so u can start off clean

If you have a smaller tank, I wouldn't recomend this as the bubbles will disturb the water which bettas tend to hate. When you get your 10 gal. tank I recomend a sponge filter like this on here, http://www.aquariumguys.com/hydrosponge.html. These are great for culturing bacteria in the sponge. There are then two things you can do about the bubbles; 1) buy a valve to restrict the air flow to the filter and reduce the amount of bubbles it produces, or 2) by a piece or large airline tubing or clear flexible hose and use some fish tank silicone to attach it to the piece of tube on the filter and extend it above the water line so there are no bubbles at all. :nod:

Picuters taken form my sidekick not that good sryy

furius.JPG

IMG00057.JPG

He has some great colors, but his fins are in rough shape from the looks of those pics. I know he's a Crown Tail, so that's not what I mean. His fins look too short and clumpy. That's caused by depression and stress :sad: Just take our advice and he'll be in tip-top shape in no time! :nod:
He looks like he has the potential to be a really beautiful boy. :good:

Thanks! and yes he is beautiful! ha well ill defenitly get him in top shape!!

Most reactions

Back