What Do You Think Of This Rainbowfish Tank?

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

RedTail123

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
180 Gallon Planted Rainbow Tank

Fish-

11- Red Irian Rainbowfish
11- Boesemani Rainbowfish
11- Turquoise Rainbowfish
11- Praecox Rainbowfish
13- Pseudomugil Rainbowfish

Plants

Dwarf Hairgrass
Micro Sword
Banana Plant
Ludwigia
Wisteria
Water Sprite
Hygrophila
Brazilian Sword
Anubias Nana
Anubias Barteri
Anubias Congensis
Anacharis
Myrio Green

it would look stunning

Im in process of setting one up myself at the moment, biggest barrier is the high price of the fish

Not sure how the poor little surface dwelling Forktails will cope with the feeding frenzy of all those others many times their size!

As for having 33 10cm+ active fish and 24 5cm fish as adults, this tank is going to need to be pretty big (6x2x2 absolute minimum) and a lot of filtration to match (2x FX5 would not be out of place).

Another consideration is that the Bosemani and Turquoise (Lake Katubu?) are from the same genus and could very easily hybridise (same goes for the Praecox, but given their size difference a bit less likely once the other two species are approaching adulthood).

Not sure how the poor little surface dwelling Forktails will cope with the feeding frenzy of all those others many times their size!

As for having 33 10cm+ active fish and 24 5cm fish as adults, this tank is going to need to be pretty big (6x2x2 absolute minimum) and a lot of filtration to match (2x FX5 would not be out of place).

Another consideration is that the Bosemani and Turquoise (Lake Katubu?) are from the same genus and could very easily hybridise (same goes for the Praecox, but given their size difference a bit less likely once the other two species are approaching adulthood).
[/Quote/]

You think the fork tails will starve?
I was thinking because they're more aggressive than the other rainbows that it would be fine.
And I'll have 22 3" fish, 22 4" fish, and 13 2" fish, which is a total of 180". I'm also planing on having them in a double filtered 180 gallon.

M. lacustris, M. bosemani and G. incissus should all reach 4" minimum in aquaria, the latter two ought to get more in the 5-6" ballpark.

M. praecox should reach close to 2", while P. furcata for example wll be a fraction shorter but far more streamlined.

As youngsters, that tank combo will probably be fine as regards feeding, but I could easily see those Pseudomugil being in trouble long term. Your three larger species will not only be at least twice as long, but also at least twice as broad and approx. eight times deeper, relative giants! Not too mention, "Prime Ordeal" recently posted a photo of an adult Bosemani in the process of swallowing a live Neon Tetra.

Yeah I agree with the P. gertrudaes. I have kept them many times and would not mix them with my boesemani. They are quite shy and not as hardy as most rainbows.

I also would not mix any rainbows that hybridize, as this is a big issue in the hobby. Rainbows are also fairly simple to breed even in a community setting. Its just the raising of the fry that is tricky. I've devised a low effort low success method of raising them lol. I've just got a group of 6 boesemani, currently just 3 fry since I'm too lazy and too inconsistent to try to raise them. I just move a few eggs to a 5 gallon bare tank full of cyclops and nematode worms. Give it food a few times a week. They seem to be pretty good at finding enough food to keep their bellies full. Once they are big enough to stand a weak current I move them to a 15 gallon shrimp tank. Then we keep moving them on to more tanks till they are big enough to go back in with their parents.

I would question the ability of an adult boesemani to actually swallow an adult neon. Maybe a young one yes. Rainbows have a narrow throat and often attempt to swallow things they simply cannot. More then once I have had to chase one of my adults around to get it to give up some large piece of food it could not swallow, though they seem #@!! bent on trying lol.

Most reactions

Back