What do you do with fish you breed? Also, does anyone ...breed... aquarium plants?

MuddyWaters

Fishaholic
Reaction score
@Folks who breed fish:
  • What do you do with the fish you breed?
  • Do you make money?
  • Do you need several smaller tanks to move fish to, or does it depend on what you're breeding?
PLANTS:
  • Do hobbyists grow aquarium plants as ...crops?
  • What do you do with what you grow?
  • Are there plants that are more fun to grow than others?

In regards to fish when I have done it previously (the fish I bred were platies) I sold them to my local pet shop. If you are to do this chain store pet shops will unlikely take them it is best to sell to no chain stores l, try and build a good relationship with them with only selling the best quality fish.

I breed a lot of fish. I used to sell them in aquarium clubs to people to people who were glad to get them. Now I live in a small city without a club auction scene, and it's harder to share them out, or sell them to stores.
I breed offbeat stuff - uncommon fish. No store wants platys or the easiest fish - they are so cheap from the wholesalers we can't compete. The same is generally true for plants - you need to produce the unexpected or your products aren't wanted.
I also maintain fish. You don't get to see how they behave in just one generation. You need to take them through two or three generations to really get how they live in tanks.
It's necessary to have several tanks per species, so breeding demands space and resources. It's still way cheaper than golf or fixing up cars, but it is a more demanding side of the hobby, resource and space wise. You need the breeding tank, fry, juvenile and single species community tanks. My oldest species here, a killie that I've bred for 30 plus years, has six tanks, and can go up to eight when people want them.

Money? No. It costs more than it returns. Breeding basically pays for new fish and plants, if you live in a city with a network of aquarists. To have income, you need a talent you can connect to the fish hobby market - designing things, writing, artwork, video-making etc. And even there, the internet has killed most ways of making revenue from aquariums. I made much more than I spent for a number of years, but online, 'everything is free', and that means you breed fish because it's fun.

It's worth it if you enjoy the puzzle of learning how to breed something new, or if you just like to see the full life cycle of a species.

Hello Muddy. I keep a lot of large tanks and a lot of different fish. They're constantly making more fish. I've just started with larger tanks that have room for the new ones. If you're lucky enough to have a fish store that will take your new fish, that's great. Most fish stores in my area don't. The main reasons being they're not familiar with you or the health of your fish. They can't risk selling fish they know nothing about.

I imagine the same would be true of aquarium plants.

10 Tanks (Now 11)

@Folks who breed fish:
  • What do you do with the fish you breed?
Donate them to the local club for auction, or sell them to a local fish shop.
  • Do you make money?
Nope.
  • Do you need several smaller tanks to move fish to, or does it depend on what you're breeding?
Depends on if I am breeding in colony or have to pull and rear separately.
PLANTS:
  • Do hobbyists grow aquarium plants as ...crops?
Some do.
  • What do you do with what you grow?
Doneate the the local club for auction (same as with fish).
  • Are there plants that are more fun to grow than others?
Depends on what you like. A bunch of stuff I love, I can't give away. Other crap that are weeds seem to attract a lot of interest.

Most reactions

Back