What Do Needlefish Eat?

Status
Not open for further replies.

myfisheatyours

Reaction score
before some of you guys start...not sure if i can say this...bitching and moaning about this crap my tigerfish died due to choking on a minow, so for my b-day my brother got me a needlefish, it's still small enough for a 10 gallon, but in a year I'm gonna have to get a 55 or so gallon, but before that what else do they eat other then minows?

i think you have a needlenose gar. a 55 gallon is still too small for a gar, i think the smallest species of gar can live in a 125 gallon, not sure though. as for what it eats, you can try to get it to eat frozen shrimp, carnivore sticks or pellets, and pieces of fish. just throw it in the tank, if it doesnt take it, take it out and try it the next day.

Xenentodon cancila or needle nose gars as you guys in the states call them is not a fish for a 10 gallon tank. There is a profile on them in the index here http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?showtopic=41749 .
They usually only eat live foods like minows and tadpoles, when i kept them only one would take frozen foods.
If i were you i'd take it back to the store and get something more suitable before that ends up dead too.

He's getting a new tank in a month or so. The needlefish is still really small. I find it extremely annoying when people suggest to bring the fish back because they feel someone else is incapable of keeping a fish. Oh well...

They have a schooling fish that requires a 75g tank in a 10 gallon tank on its own and didnt know what it ate, that doesnt exactly inspire much confidence in their ability to keep the fish does it?

Actually...no. Not a year or so. Im planning on getting him a 29 gallon pretty soon. We just need to finish moving things out of the new room. So no...not a year or so.

Doesn't know what it eats? Not exactly. To rephrase. It was more like...what else besides minnows. He has a 10 gallon with some minnows in it already. Just wants to know what else it eats so the needlefish doesn't encounter the same problem as his tiger fish did.

So please...If you are not going to be helpful, just dont post. I am so sick of seeing people be more discouraging than helpful to others who ask questions.

So are you also posting as myfisheats yours?

Anyway this is the first post

before some of you guys start...not sure if i can say this...bitching and moaning about this crap my tigerfish died due to choking on a minow, so for my b-day my brother got me a needlefish, it's still small enough for a 10 gallon, but in a year I'm gonna have to get a 55 or so gallon, but before that what else do they eat other then minows?

notice the part in bold lettering, that clearly says you will be getting a 55 gallon tank (which is still too small) in a years time. It also says you are keeping an active predatory fish in a 10 gallon tank.

These are the facts.

Needle fish are fast active predators that lunge at their prey, because of this they need a tank with pleanty of room so they dont bash into the glass and break their beaks, if they break their beaks they cannot eat and they will die.

Needle fish are very shy timid fish that are easily scared, when they are scared they dart around the tank as fast as they can, in a small tank they dart straight into the sides and break their beaks. Dead fish.

Predatory fish grow fast, they grow fast because they have a high protein diet and are biologically designed that way so that when they hatch they grow faster than the fry of their prey so they can make the most of the abundant food source. A 29 gallon tank is not a suitable size for a fish that should be 12" within a year.

So please...If you are not going to be helpful, just dont post. I am so sick of seeing people be more discouraging than helpful to others who ask questions

If you dont want to know the answers then dont ask the questions. This topic will be locked now since you obviously only want to listen if the answers are what you want to hear.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Back