What Do I Need To Keep A Japanese Fighter Fish?

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

firefighter1588

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I was in the at the aqua store the other day when i saw the japanese fighter fish, they are gorgeous :hyper: what would i need to keep one? tank size? filter size? sand or gravel? what do they eat? im a total beginner so any help would be great :good:

thanks, Brad

Do you mean Siamese fighting fish?
These need a tank to themselves, especially the males. Something around the 5 gallon mark. A heater and light, little filtration as they like slow water and some tall feathery plants and a cave to hide in.

You can keep them in a community tank, but it must be with very placid fish and as stated have a gentle current.

I was in the at the aqua store the other day when i saw the japanese fighter fish, they are gorgeous :hyper: what would i need to keep one? tank size? filter size? sand or gravel? what do they eat? im a total beginner so any help would be great :good:

thanks, Brad

you say 5 gallon is that U.S. or uk gallons?? cheers

US is better as it is bigger. They will eat most foods such as flakes, brine shrimp, blood worms, pellets, ect. They love plants so either real or silk will do. They also love holes and caves.

US is better as it is bigger. They will eat most foods such as flakes, brine shrimp, blood worms, pellets, ect. They love plants so either real or silk will do. They also love holes and caves.

Silly discus lover, UK gallons are bigger than US.

Honestly it's controversial. Anywhere from 1 to 10 will suit them fine and provide and adequate life span. I would suggust 2.5 US gallons or more.

Most reactions

Back