What Do I Do?

F1Fanatic

Reaction score
I'm new to the forum, so be easy!

Got my first fish tank a couple of months ago, carried out a fishless cycle, ammonia and nitrite processing correctly, I have a liquid test kit by the way. Took the plunge and got 5 cardinal tetra and 3 otocinclus cat fish, (tank is a 70l). A week in they got white spot, I had been testing my water every 2 days and all stats were fine 0 ammonia 0 nitrite and 20 nitrate. Eventually all but one otocinclus fish died despite treatment and increasing temp etc. . I am now in the middle of another cycle, adding ammonia etc so I can get some fish, I know this harsh on the fish, and have been carrying out water changes daily. Three weeks later into the treatment I can still see a few white insects swimming about (I assume these are the parasite swimming for a host). They just won't seem to disappear?

I was just wondering if I'm doing things right or wrong? And has anyone got any suggestions as to what may have caused the fish to die in the first place?

I'm gutted, I really did my research but everything has still gone wrong :/

Cheers in advance,
F1Fanatic!

Are you trying to say you are dosing ammonia even though there is a fish in there :/ ? If you have/still are dosing for white spot the free-swimming stage should die instantly, but even so, this is not white spot. As far as i am aware it is impossible to see white spot with the naked eye, they do not swim. Once the spot detaches from the fish it bursts into many other tiny spots that in turn infect a fish. I doubt very much what you are seeing is white spot.

I'm not sure what those white insects are, as i don't believe the ick-causing critters aren't big enough to see, but otos and cardinals can be sensitive to newly set-up tanks. Cardinals, although tend to be hardier than neons, are very sensitive fish IME. Others with more experience will probably be able to help you more.

Good luck!

Thanks for the replies, just had a look online and the things i'm seeing are copepods apparently.

I'll stop treating immediately then! About the adding ammonia, I don't know what to do. I want to get more fish eventually but don't want to be in a fish-in cycle. What can people suggest?
Also are there any fish that anyone would suggest?

Thanks!

If you have fish in there then your tank is cycled. If you want to add more fish you can but slowly so the filter (well more strictly the bacteria there in) has chance to adapt to the new bio load.

When you add new fish keep and eye on the water stats to watch out for any mini cycles taking place and plenty of water changes to keep on top of things...

Cheers

Danny B

Ah, I thought I would have to start the cycle over again. Thanks a lot!

Cheers for the help!

Most reactions

Back