What Do Clown Pleco's Like To Eat?

Ceramicbull

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Well, got a clown pleco (Panaque maccus) a couple of weeks ago for a 29G FW community, and I haven't seen him eat much. In one day he got what little algae there was off the glass, and since then, I guess he's been eating the driftwood. (all the poop in the tank indicates he's been eating something). It worries me that he hasn't eaten any of the shrimp pellets, algae wafers, or cucumbers I've added to the tank. He may just be being out competed by the Brochis splendens for the algae wafers and shrimp pellets, but the cucumbers go untouched. Thanks for any suggestions.

Clown Plecos are nocturnal and very shy. It is likely he will only eat at night and I think he does this here.
Push some of the algae pellet (clown plecos will not eat shrimp pellets) into the little holes in the driftwood that is his favourite. My old Clown Pleco never liked vegetables, his diet was only made up of pellets and wood :rolleyes:

I rarely see my Clown pleco, they`re known to be nocturnal so I doubt you`ll see very much of him during the day. They munch on bogwood and don`t tend to eat much in the way of wafers etc, or at least mine doesn`t, he seems happy with lots of bogwood.

If you have some kind of 'moonlighting' light on in the evening after you normal lighting goes off, you`ll probably catch a glimpse of him then :good:

I've got a pretty low-light setup, occasionally he'll hang in a little outcrop on top of his driftwood. I'm glad that it's not uncommon for them to only eat the driftwood, at least. I'll try the algae wafer thing tonight, but I fear the brochis may still just mob the wafter before the pleco gets any.

When i first got my Clown Pleco, I didn't see him for about 2 months,
But now, as soon as there's food about, he straight out down the front in the que for munchies, Seems quite happy with tetra variety wafers, algae pellets and of course, the all time tank fav, cucumber!
Maybe he just needs to settle in a bit..

:D

Most reactions

Back