What caves best for bristlenose

Benji k

Fishaholic
Reaction score
So in my tank I have a bristlenose cave I brought from lfs and 4 other pvc pipes I’ve had the plecos for about 3 months dose anyone think ther is better caves to use maybe like pots

I believe it was you I answered in another thread suggesting you try pots - so asking if anyone has an opinion is a bit of a miss! I suspect you're looking for a rule. If your fish won't breed, and you were concerned about that, experiment. One male may like tubes, one may want a closed end on his cave. Clay pots can work. I knew a really good breeder who swore the only thing that worked was a type of hollow glass lighthouse decoration he bought at a junk store. It worked for him. I've seen Ancistrus breed in terra cotta pots with doors knocked in them, and in pots snapped in half like tunnels. I've seen breeders bury one end in gravel, and others that left them open.

Go to Home Depot, get some 2x6 tiles and a tube of silicon. You can make two sizes of caves, a square one using 4 tiles and a triangle one using three tiles. Find something to close off the back. Bristlenose love them.

Go to Home Depot, get some 2x6 tiles and a tube of silicon. You can make two sizes of caves, a square one using 4 tiles and a triangle one using three tiles. Find something to close off the back. Bristlenose love them.
Yeah thanks for the reply I’ll get some in Tiles on The weekend

I have been buying from him for years. I work with several different plecos species and I think I must have 50 - 60 caves most of which came from that site.

Most reactions

Back