What Causes Green Spot Algae

dave_m13

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hi All

I have really only suffered thread algae whilst setting up new aquariums, this has long gone but the only constant annoyance is having to clean the green spot algae off the glass at the front of the aquarium and it has also started on my anubia's, nothing else.

What actually causes it and how can I stop it?

Thanks
Dave

first of all, it is almost impossible to stop unless you run high co2 (40ppm+ ) to block the enzymes growing.

Low co2 and long lighting levels can cause GSA

There is a guide in my sig.

first of all, it is almost impossible to stop unless you run high co2 (40ppm+ ) to block the enzymes growing.

Low co2 and long lighting levels can cause GSA

There is a guide in my sig.

Thanks for the guide very useful.

Oh well I suppose I will just have to keep scraping away on the glass every week or so. I have low lights, on for 5 off for 2 on for 5, CO2 probably around 30ppm maybe bit less.

Thanks again

Are you sure? Where did you hear that?

I don't have 40ppm+ CO2 and I don't have GSA. I recommend that no one reaches over 30ppm CO2.

Hi George

Is there anything I could do that may combat it? I do not mind scraping off glass, its when GSA grows on my anubia's that annoys me. Just does not look very nice, normally have to cut leaves off. Plants are actually growing pretty quickly, but after 2-3 weeks or so the GSA starts.

I have low light, CO2 injection, very little fertilizer.

Thanks

GSA has been linked to low PO4.

I don't get it in my tanks with Anubias. I'm lucky in that my tap has >5ppm PO4, and I add more via Tropica+ liquid.

As with any algae, the best prevention is heavy planting with an appropriate level of nutrients and light. Good circulation is also a key to success. All my tanks have a minimum of 10x turnover.

GSA has been linked to low PO4.

I don't get it in my tanks with Anubias. I'm lucky in that my tap has >5ppm PO4, and I add more via Tropica+ liquid.

As with any algae, the best prevention is heavy planting with an appropriate level of nutrients and light. Good circulation is also a key to success. All my tanks have a minimum of 10x turnover.

I will check what my PO4 is when I have a chance.

Tank is pretty well stocked with many plants, I have 3 filters so turnover should not be a problem. I think that it maybe the amount of nutrients being added to tank that could be the problem, I only add flourish every week maybe every 2 weeks.

Thanks

I don't have 40ppm+ CO2 and I don't have GSA. I recommend that no one reaches over 30ppm CO2.

From your Guide :p

Here is the quote:

Carbon Dioxide Levels and other Water Parameters

Recommended levels of CO2 are 20 to 35ppm. It is important that these levels remain fairly constant, as fluctuating levels are known to cause algae. Higher levels are sometimes used to fight off algae ? it is known that levels higher than 40ppm can block the enzyme production in the algae cells. However one must pay attention to the behaviour of the fish as levels higher than 35ppm are known to cause health issues.

I second what has been mentioned above.
In my 40g GSA used to take over the glass weekly. It stopped once I started dosing a bit more PO4 than usual.

From your Guide :p

Here is the quote:

Carbon Dioxide Levels and other Water Parameters

Recommended levels of CO2 are 20 to 35ppm. It is important that these levels remain fairly constant, as fluctuating levels are known to cause algae. Higher levels are sometimes used to fight off algae ? it is known that levels higher than 40ppm can block the enzyme production in the algae cells. However one must pay attention to the behaviour of the fish as levels higher than 35ppm are known to cause health issues.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Most reactions

Back