What Can I Stock With What I Have Currently?

blur411

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Up until a few weeks ago I wasn't considering this since I had a beautiful betta named Elton. He got very sick, I posted here in the emergency section and everything I did failed. He was laying at the bottom of the tank a few days ago, still breathing so we decided to euthanize him and that was seriously that hardest I've ever cried over a fish. Since he has been gone my tank just looks empty. It's a planted 10 gallon with red surka shrimp (about 15, but they are tiny) and 4 neon tetras. Should I leave it as is, or can I add anything else to it? I don't want another betta because honestly I was very attached to Elton and I prefer something more along the lines of a school that I won't necessarily get so attached to. My water chemistry is spot on, and it's been an established tank for about a year. 

Any ideas??

Here is a photo of my tank
ASKoPGw.jpg

I would up the neons, tbh. Most people would say that they are too big for a 10gal (and I would be one of them), but in this situation, since you have some already, I would do that. Get another 2 or 3.

I'd say get at least two more neons as they do better in groups of 6 anyway and then look at mayeb things like possibly livebearers or something along those lines?
smile.png
How about Sparkling Gourami's? They need groups and are small but very pretty. Or maybe Croaking Gourami's? They can be kept in groups and are a little bigger than Sparkling but not as colourful
smile.png

The_Lock_Man: You got there first :p Yes I would normally agree the neons are too big and active for a 10 gallon but in this situation they should be OK.

Sorry for your loss
sad.png

I'd agree with adding more neons but other than that I'd say your fully stocked.

wrightt3 said:
Sorry for your loss
sad.png

I'd agree with adding more neons but other than that I'd say your fully stocked.

I would say this if the OP was planning bigger fish but it also depends on the filter. If the filter could take it they could add a small school of Sparklers but only if the filter is big enough. I meant to add that into my first post but obviously forgot.

Thanks everyone, I originally had 6 neons but had lost two early on and never replaced them. The filter I have seems to keep up pretty well, and I switch out the filter monthly (I always put the old one in the tank until the new one is seeded and I check water levels daily after changing it). Will gouramis eat my shrimp? I always thought they were aggressive. I swear I read up on putting the neons in there before doing so and read they were appropriate for a 10 gallon. I feel awful if they need a bigger home. I had a 55 gallon, but had to sell it when I moved across the country and was so worried about my fish I had to get rid of not going to big enough tanks. 

blur411 said:
Thanks everyone, I originally had 6 neons but had lost two early on and never replaced them. The filter I have seems to keep up pretty well, and I switch out the filter monthly (I always put the old one in the tank until the new one is seeded and I check water levels daily after changing it). Will gouramis eat my shrimp? I always thought they were aggressive. I swear I read up on putting the neons in there before doing so and read they were appropriate for a 10 gallon. I feel awful if they need a bigger home. I had a 55 gallon, but had to sell it when I moved across the country and was so worried about my fish I had to get rid of not going to big enough tanks. 

Sparkling Gourami's barley reach an inch long and are the sweetest things ever.

I will have to see if I can find some of those here in Ohio. My concern is if I shouldn't have the neons in there should I not add any other types of fish?

blur411 said:
I will have to see if I can find some of those here in Ohio. My concern is if I shouldn't have the neons in there should I not add any other types of fish?

I wouldn't exactly advise it unless you are hugely overfiltering. I was thinking more if you decided to get rid of the neons with them really being too big and active for the tank size :)

The neons are only a half an inch long, that's why I don't see how they are too big. I just went and browsed some other sites and I haven't found any other forms saying that neons are too much for a 10 gallon. I don't know if it matters or not, but mine is a 10 gallon long, I bought a regular stand once and mine hung over the edges by a couple inches on each side so I needed to buy a new one. 

blur411 said:
The neons are only a half an inch long, that's why I don't see how they are too big. I just went and browsed some other sites and I haven't found any other forms saying that neons are too much for a 10 gallon. I don't know if it matters or not, but mine is a 10 gallon long, I bought a regular stand once and mine hung over the edges by a couple inches on each side so I needed to buy a new one. 

They get bigger and are active is the problem. Some people won't even recommend them for a 2.5ft tank but I think a 30 inch(2.5ft) tank would be fine for them. A 10 gallon is less than 2ft though right? 

Mine is 2 foot long and 1 foot wide. I'm trying to find some information on this somewhere on-line, not that I don't believe you it's just everything else I'm finding is saying they are fine and if they aren't I'd like some more info and then maybe I can re-home them.

blur411 said:
Mine is 2 foot long and 1 foot wide. I'm trying to find some information on this somewhere on-line, not that I don't believe you it's just everything else I'm finding is saying they are fine and if they aren't I'd like some more info and then maybe I can re-home them.

I know it seems silly and there is a lot that says they are fine but they are just simply too active really. If you compared their behaviour in a 2ft tank and a 3ft tank there is a huge difference. I know it sounds silly, trust me I understand lol.

I will see if I can find a new home for them, if not I hate taking them back to the store because they will just end up selling them to someone else with a 10 gallon and most likely one they bought the same day. At least mine was cycled :-/ I feel really bad now, I thought I researched enough!

blur411 said:
I will see if I can find a new home for them, if not I hate taking them back to the store because they will just end up selling them to someone else with a 10 gallon and most likely one they bought the same day. At least mine was cycled :-/ I feel really bad now, I thought I researched enough!

I know, it's horrible really but it can't be helped. I know you researched, I understand that, it's just no-one really takes into account their activity levels and it's all on their size instead.

Most reactions

Back