What Are These 2 Fish?

Avinitlarge

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Ive had the blue and yellow one for ages. My other half bought the orange and black one a few weeks ago.

DSCF3635.jpg

DSCF3639.jpg

Some type of African cichlids I think, malawis of some type maybe...if they are African ideally they shouldn't be in your tank with a Severum (the one to the side of the second image) which is a South American fish...it's not a good mix really

Some type of African cichlids I think, malawis of some type maybe...if they are African ideally they shouldn't be in your tank with a Severum (the one to the side of the second image) which is a South American fish...it's not a good mix really

The orange a black one hasnt shown any signs of being nasty, Neither has the blue and yellow one.

orange and black one is defiantly an african cichlid

The orange a black one hasnt shown any signs of being nasty, Neither has the blue and yellow one.

Not yet anyway....Fingers crossed your tank stays peaceful but if not you'll know why. Does the Severum mingle with the other fish or steer well clear?

Most fish keepers read up on a fish species before they introduce them to a tank to make sure the water parameters, decor, plants, temp, pH etc are suitable and that the fish normally has the right characteristics to get on with your existing fish stock. I suggest you take a bit of time researching potential fish before they are bought in future...if you were to ask any one with some experience of cichlids (from either Africa or Central/South America) they will tell you it is not a good idea to mix the two regions of fish. It's also a bad idea to mix Lake Malawi and other african lake cichlids from Lake Tangayika/Victoria for example.

It's your choice but personally I don't think it's wise to just add whatever takes your fancy

Sorry to be so blunt but this just isn't right IME, I just hope the fish get on in the long run
confused.gif

Not yet anyway....Fingers crossed your tank stays peaceful but if not you'll know why. Does the Severum mingle with the other fish or steer well clear?

Most fish keepers read up on a fish species before they introduce them to a tank to make sure the water parameters, decor, plants, temp, pH etc are suitable and that the fish normally has the right characteristics to get on with your existing fish stock. I suggest you take a bit of time researching potential fish before they are bought in future...if you were to ask any one with some experience of cichlids (from either Africa or Central/South America) they will tell you it is not a good idea to mix the two regions of fish. It's also a bad idea to mix Lake Malawi and other african lake cichlids from Lake Tangayika/Victoria for example.

It's your choice but personally I don't think it's wise to just add whatever takes your fancy

Sorry to be so blunt but this just isn't right IME, I just hope the fish get on in the long run
confused.gif

I do read up and research. Its my other half, She cant resist a nice looking fish. I tell her no be she does it anyway. I can go to the LFS look at the fish then go home and find out what they are before buying. The Sev's, silver dollars and other fish all seem to get on. The only problem I have is a grumpy sailfin plec the chases my catfish if they get to near him

confused.gif

I do read up and research. Its my other half, She cant resist a nice looking fish. I tell her no be she does it anyway. I can go to the LFS look at the fish then go home and find out what they are before buying. The Sev's, silver dollars and other fish all seem to get on. The only problem I have is a grumpy sailfin plec the chases my catfish if they get to near him

Fair enough, other halves aye...gotta love 'em. I wish my wife would show that much interest, even if it might result to the wrong fish for my tank...atleast I could start educating her :)

Best of luck with them, you never know, your other half might prove all the theories wrong!

you say you read up on fish before buying them....yet you said you have had the blue and yellow cichlid for ages and didn't know what it was? you only said your other half brought home the orange and black one...

and if you do read up on the fish before bringing them home....wouldn't you have read that you shouldn't mix sevs and such cichlids?-_-

confused.gif

Fair enough, other halves aye...gotta love 'em. I wish my wife would show that much interest, even if it might result to the wrong fish for my tank...atleast I could start educating her :)

Best of luck with them, you never know, your other half might prove all the theories wrong!

She is more interested than me sometimes, Thats when the buying takes place. I know half of the fish in my tank shouldnt be together. So far, Ive been lucky. What can I say, She came home with 2 discus last week. She is bonkers. Its just all wrong.

you say you read up on fish before buying them....yet you said you have had the blue and yellow cichlid for ages and didn't know what it was? you only said your other half brought home the orange and black one...

and if you do read up on the fish before bringing them home....wouldn't you have read that you shouldn't mix sevs and such cichlids?-_-

I said ive had the blue and yellow one for ages, I didnt say I bought it.

She is more interested than me sometimes, Thats when the buying takes place. I know half of the fish in my tank shouldnt be together. So far, Ive been lucky. What can I say, She came home with 2 discus last week. She is bonkers. Its just all wrong.

Discus! my gawd...

You would hope the LFS would ask suitable questions before selling her fish, but money makes the world go round and all that, and that's never more evident that at a bad LFS...

Tell me about it. Ive bought from the LFS she goes to and the will sell anything to anyone. I do actually like the discus. I have said something has to go. If she doesnt decide, I will do it for her. I want to get rid of the silver dollars and the 2 unknows to start with. If they go, I will be left with the sevs and the discus.

The Orange one is an Orange Blotch Zebra I think the other is an Acei. Both Malawi cichlids.

I'm not 100% sure though, so it might be worth asking in the Cichlid section too.

Tell me about it. Ive bought from the LFS she goes to and the will sell anything to anyone. I do actually like the discus. I have said something has to go. If she doesnt decide, I will do it for her. I want to get rid of the silver dollars and the 2 unknows to start with. If they go, I will be left with the sevs and the discus.

I'd loose the all cichlids bar the Sev, and then go from there with strict instructions for her not to buy anything ever again unless you're with her!
The Orange one is an Orange Blotch Zebra I think the other is an Acei. Both Malawi cichlids.

I'm not 100% sure though, so it might be worth asking in the Cichlid section too.

Atleast the Africans are both Malawis :)

<br class="Apple-interchange-newline">
OMG. She now wants a ray, She is loosing the plot! I am going to shred her bank card then put posted in at the LFS saying "DO NOT SELL ANY FISH TO THIS CLEPTOMANIAC.

Well she can get you a new tank to cater for the rays then, with her own money :)

Although in my case my money is my wifes money so I hazard a guess you're in the same boat as it were too...

You need those strict instructions...

OMG. She now wants a ray, She is loosing the plot! I am going to shred her bank card then put posted in at the LFS saying "DO NOT SELL ANY FISH TO THIS CLEPTOMANIAC.

Good job she doesn't go to my LFS as there was 4 small rays there the other day for £20 each. She'd have come back with 2 :lol:

Most reactions

Back