Video What a goof

CassCats

Fish Aficionado
Pet of the Month 🎖️
2x Tank of the Month🏆
Fish of the Month 🌟
Reaction score
My hoplo boy is trying to build a bubble nest, tried with a sunken leaf but it wouldn't go where he wanted it to go.

I gave him some new leaves that floated which he's happy putting bubbles under

20201114_190955.jpg

omg that is so cool!!! I can't believe you are able to watch species-native behavior right within your own home. THAT, I think is a true sign of success in the hobby. kudos to you!

What a considerate keeper you are. Hoplos are cool. Do yours dig? Mine about destroyed my 150 digging caves in the substrate.

What a considerate keeper you are. Hoplos are cool. Do yours dig? Mine about destroyed my 150 digging caves in the substrate.
Im considering Hoplos but might have to think again after hearing your experiences with them:eek:. I was thinking Pitus catfish firstly but learned they can be diggers and quite messy. Do you still have your hoplo's?

They dig but these are the smaller hoplo cats (hoplosternum punctatum), maximum 4-5 inches if you count the tail. I find their digging no worse than my cories. Well established plants aren't dug up, but they do get freshly planted ones

Im considering Hoplos but might have to think again after hearing your experiences with them:eek:. I was thinking Pitus catfish firstly but learned they can be diggers and quite messy. Do you still have your hoplo's?
The larger hoplos are worse diggers. The smaller guys are pretty much the same as cories with the digging.
I keep mine with vals, hygro, moneywort, crypts, taiwan lily, and swords. No problems from the plants that have full roots, but newly propagated will be dug up. Thats the same with my cories though.

Bigger species... then you'd have a problem with small stem plants.

But if you have carpet plants like monte Carlo or hydrocotyle tripartita, or hairgrass... yeah say bye lol but even small corydoras will dig those out.

They dig but these are the smaller hoplo cats (hoplosternum punctatum), maximum 4-5 inches if you count the tail. I find their digging no worse than my cories. Well established plants aren't dug up, but they do get freshly planted ones

The larger hoplos are worse diggers. The smaller guys are pretty much the same as cories with the digging.
I keep mine with vals, hygro, moneywort, crypts, taiwan lily, and swords. No problems from the plants that have full roots, but newly propagated will be dug up. Thats the same with my cories though.

Bigger species... then you'd have a problem with small stem plants.

But if you have carpet plants like monte Carlo or hydrocotyle tripartita, or hairgrass... yeah say bye lol but even small corydoras will dig those out.
Thats good to know:good: i can live with that.
Ive got swords and crypts mainly so my plants should be fine

Most reactions

Back