Welcome to The Fish Kitchen!

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

vanalisa

Fish Aficionado
Tank of the Month 🏆
Reaction score
This where I spend quite a bit of my time.

I live in a building that has a Community Kitchen. The building is zoned for work/live. Some of the units do not have running water, mine is one such unit. Keeping fish requires a readily available water source

None of the other people in the building do much cooking. Although there is a microwave in there none of them seem to use that either.

Also, the electricity in my building is paid for in the Community spaces.
It's a very old building and my specific unit can only handle so much electric current. So I get a free ride as far as the electricity that is required to run the tanks.

I also have two other tanks and a snail bubbler bucket elsewhere in the kitchen.

I hope you like it I sure do especially at night!
20200229_004517.jpg

I dig the lighting set up, nice
Thanks!
I just bought a Dremel rotary tool.
I just haven't had time to do it yet, but I'm going to drill some more holes in the side of the shelving unit so I could run the wires out of the side.

Also, unfortunately I don't have any more outlets! The coloured light are battery operated;)

Thanks!
I just bought a Dremel rotary tool.
I just haven't had time to do it yet, but I'm going to drill some more holes in the side of the shelving unit so I could run the wires out of the side.

Also, unfortunately I don't have any more outlets! The coloured light are battery operated;)
Have you tried power strips ?

Yep. Have two going now.
I think I have one plug outlet but can't seem to make room.
Probably best, who knows when enough is too much?

"Not I," said the spider to the fly.

I live in a building that has a Community Kitchen. The building is zoned for work/live. Some of the units do not have running water, mine is one such unit. Keeping fish requires a readily available water source
How is this possible in the USA?
Surely there is a law that says each unit must have basic amenities like clean running water and a bathroom.

It sounds like the landlord is doing something shady and renting out rooms in a building that should be condemed.

Perhaps contact your state or federal government and find out if this is allowed. It wouldn't be allowed in Australia so I'm sure the American government would have similar thoughts. This is 2020 for goodness sakes. Nobody should be living in a place without running water.

The question I have for vanalisa is....how can you manage water changes without having nearby running water? I would think managing all those tanks with nearby water source would be very difficult.

I would also wonder that if the owner saw all those tanks in your room, he would have an issue with it.

I guess I didn't explain clearly, it is an odd situation.

I live in a building that was put up for wealthy visitors to The World's Fair/Exposition, the year it was held in Texas. This was, I believe, in the 1930s. Since then it has gone through many changes. It was a "dance hall" ;) at one point, and I forget what else.

Somewhere along the line they divided the bigger spaces into smaller ones. The original building was not plumbed for as many units. So some of the units here have running water, bathrooms, etc.

In the 1970s it became a place where several artists used to live/work.
For those without bathrooms and kitchens there emerged a Community Kitchen, and there are Communiy bathrooms.
Men's and Women's.

I think after the 70s it had a rough patch, but it is now thriving again. Don't tell anyone, we like it this way. It is not "zoned" for RESIDENTIAL living, so each unit is not required to have running water. It has again turned into a great place for artist's to have their studios. And, of course not all are starving, but the moniker does hold true for some here!!! (Unless there is a mirror around)!

The rent for the units without water is half the cost of the others. We all have heaters/A.C. and refrigerators in our units.
The ones who don't live here can use the fridge in the main kitchen. It's great because bathrooms and kitchen electricity is billed to landlord. There is a sink like 10 steps from my tanks!!! I may be moving some tanks into my unit when I do a major rearrange in the next month. It will be a pain to go down the hallway but I can't LIVE in the kitchen. My cat is pissed.

There is a locked main building door, and each individual unit has another lock.
Some people just come here to make art and live else where. One unit is used as a gallery. One guy stays 3 months out of the year. One fellow lives here and runs a restaurant downstairs. Another is involved in the local theater. It is very low key. It's like I have brothers, sometimes we share meals, joys, and sometimes sorrows.

Right now I am the only girl and have a huge bathroom with a lock all to myself!
I've only had to share it once but she was only here for a year. Guys all share the other one; they don't care about a lock. Ha! Then they get a girlfriend and want a key to MY bathroom. NO WAY, dude...you have a new girlfriend every week. ♡

Most reactions

Back