Weird white streaks on tank & tetras hiding.

gary1

Reaction score
Hello, so I set up my 20 gallon high in mid November, I haven't really had any problems since then, but recently somethings strange has been happening, starting yesterday, the pristella tetras hide while everything else behaves normally. Now, today, weird white streaks appeared on the inside of the tank for seemingly no reason? Water params are fine and I just did a water change to try and resolve the problem. Tetras still come out to eat whenever its feeding time which is as relief. Images included below.

Tank size: 20 gallon (high)
tank age: 3ish months?
pH: 7 (I think, this is a whole different question in itself, the test kits I have give different results, so I go with what my LFS says)
ammonia: 0
nitrite: 0
nitrate: 0-5
kH: 4-6 dkh
gH: 8 dgh
tank temp: 72-75 F

Fish Symptoms (include full description including lesion, color, location, fish behavior):
Tetras hiding together in cave, meanwhile dwarf gourami, shrimp, and kuhli loaches behave normally.

Volume and Frequency of water changes:
25-30% weekly

Chemical Additives or Media in your tank:
Water dechlorinater, media: Biorings, sponge, filter floss, biowheel.
Tank inhabitants:
1x Dwarf Gourami 8x Pristella tetra 3x Kuhli loach 1x Amano shrimp
Recent additions to your tank (living or decoration):
Kuhli loaches added 4 weeks ago, removed activated carbon filter cartridge from the tank after it was there for 6-8 weeks, replaced it with filter floss.
Exposure to chemicals:
None (that I know of)
Digital photo (include if possible):
1643780460375.png
1643780486059.png
1643780511243.png
Have any of you seen anything like this?

Hello, so I set up my 20 gallon high in mid November, I haven't really had any problems since then, but recently somethings strange has been happening, starting yesterday, the pristella tetras hide while everything else behaves normally. Now, today, weird white streaks appeared on the inside of the tank for seemingly no reason? Water params are fine and I just did a water change to try and resolve the problem. Tetras still come out to eat whenever its feeding time which is as relief. Images included below.

Tank size: 20 gallon (high)
tank age: 3ish months?
pH: 7 (I think, this is a whole different question in itself, the test kits I have give different results, so I go with what my LFS says)
ammonia: 0
nitrite: 0
nitrate: 0-5
kH: 4-6 dkh
gH: 8 dgh
tank temp: 72-75 F

Fish Symptoms (include full description including lesion, color, location, fish behavior):
Tetras hiding together in cave, meanwhile dwarf gourami, shrimp, and kuhli loaches behave normally.

Volume and Frequency of water changes:
25-30% weekly

Chemical Additives or Media in your tank:
Water dechlorinater, media: Biorings, sponge, filter floss, biowheel.
Tank inhabitants:
1x Dwarf Gourami 8x Pristella tetra 3x Kuhli loach 1x Amano shrimp
Recent additions to your tank (living or decoration):
Kuhli loaches added 4 weeks ago, removed activated carbon filter cartridge from the tank after it was there for 6-8 weeks, replaced it with filter floss.
Exposure to chemicals:
None (that I know of)
Digital photo (include if possible):
View attachment 153522View attachment 153523View attachment 153524 Have any of you seen anything like this?
Can you give a better picture? These are a little blurry and hard to see. However, it kind of looks like a scratch on the glass, but it probably isn't. Maybe mold or some sort of algae? There was a person on this forum about a year ago with a similar sort of problem though, and none of us had ever seen it.

Wipe the inside of the glass down with a clean fish sponge.

Do a 75% water change and gravel clean the substrate every day for a week.
Make sure any new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it is added to the tank.

Clean the filter if it hasn't been done in the last 2 weeks. However, if the filter is less than 6 weeks old, do not clean it. Wash the filter materials/ media in a bucket of tank water and re-use them. Tip the bucket of dirty water on the garden/ lawn. Cleaning the filter means less gunk and cleaner water with fewer pathogens.
Don't replace filter media unless it is falling apart. Then use a sponge instead of filter pads/ cartridges.

Increase surface turbulence/ aeration to maximise the dissolved oxygen in the water.

Monitor fish and if they are still nervous in a few days time, post a video of them. Upload video to YouTube, then copy & paste the link here.
If you use a mobile phone to record the video, hold the phone horizontally so the footage fills the entire screen.

Most reactions

Back