Wattage For A Planted Aquarium

mcdanielnc89

Fish Addict
Reaction score
I currently have a 15 watt light in it.. It's a 20 gallon High.. DO I need more? If so how much more?

Depends what you want to grow. Some plants will be fine, others won't be.

I don't plan on keeping beginner plants as i love some of the other plants.. so what should my wattage be?

In other words you will need to get to around the 30-40W mark.

If just wanting a single light that will fit in the existing space, although you will need to drill 2 holes in the hood which I would then buy some small nut and bolts rather than use the supplied tiny ones you could get a single 55W or 36W power compact like these:

36W bulb + end cap = 18 inches long
http://www.tamaraquatics.co.uk/ShowDetails.asp?id=279

55W bulb + end cap = 22" long
http://www.tamaraquatics.co.uk/ShowDetails.asp?id=280

And the bulbs on this page (You would want DaylightPlus 3rd item down) I would also buy 2 bulbs so if they change them you will have 2 years use from the unit.
http://www.aquatics-online.co.uk/catalogue...ct-lighting.asp

36W would take you to 1.8WPG (watts per gallon)
55W would tkae you to 2.75WPG

I would suggest that you make sure your CO2 supply is very constant and also think about adopting the EI fertilisation regime otherwise you may find the lighting improvement will cause algae

I use a 55W as one of my lights and it is damned good

Andy

I have a 55G/220L tank and had 2WPG and all other requirements (pressurized CO2, complete macro and micro fertilizers). My wysteria started to branch out in an odd manner towards the light and another plant as well. I've read it's due to very good minerals but lack of light. So I recently ordered a replacement which will give me 4WPG. If you already know you'll keep medium-high maintenance plants then I suggest you start with 3WPG as it'll save you money eventually when you decide to sell your existing lights and buy new ones.

Sorry I gave youlinks for UK sites, didnt notice your US

With plants branching out at angles, its not from not enough light. especially with a plant like wisteris.

Its from the light not reaching parts of the tank enough.

i.e.

A 22 inch bulb in the centre of a 36 inch hood not reaching the ends too well.

The bulb right at the back of the hood - the foreground plant will bend backward etc.

The ideal is too have a bulb which is as long as you can fit into the tank and central, not at the back or the front

(This is why most of us use at least 2 bulbs one at the back and one at the front)

I have approx 2.5WPG and I don't have these problems, but I do have good reflectors and my bulbs fit the hood width.

Andy

With plants branching out at angles, its not from not enough light. especially with a plant like wisteris.

i.e.

The bulb right at the back of the hood - the foreground plant will bend backward etc.

The ideal is too have a bulb which is as long as you can fit into the tank and central, not at the back or the front

(This is why most of us use at least 2 bulbs one at the back and one at the front)

I have approx 2.5WPG and I don't have these problems, but I do have good reflectors and my bulbs fit the hood width.

Andy

If it diesn't too much of a hassle can you maybe get a pic or two of what your talking about so I understand better?

i.e.

Andy
Cheers, I know what you're saying. It's just odd because I use T8 bulbs that span across the whole 4-foot tank so there are no "dead spots"...so I thought maybe because there isn't enough light. Anyhoo my power compacts arrived today and my riccia was pearling only after an hour! w00t! Never did that on my T8's. :good:

Sorry for the bad pics but its a crap camera

This is the inside of my hood before upgrade (2 x 18W T8 on a 30W Magnetic ballast).
InsideBefore.jpg

This is the inside pf my hood after upgrade (1 x 18W T8 on 18W electronic ballast on Right, 1 x 55W Power Compact on Left)
InsideAfter.jpg

The 2 thin tubes in the middle are cold cathodes which are my moonlight

This is the tank with just the 18W on (dawn/dusk)
Full18W.jpg

This is the tank with all 73W on (daytime)
Full2805.jpg

The dawn/dusk pic is quite recent as I take most of my pics under this light as it suits the camera better. The daytime pic is from about a month ago hence the difference in plants. lol

As for pearling I can agree with ziggyboy. My Riccia grew a little under the 2 old T8s but no pearling. Under the PC and single T8 they wont stop lol.

Andy

Hmm.. I will look into a different hood I suppose.. LOL.. (If mom allows me to)

ty 4 the pics...

I have the same problem.

Got a 25 gallon tank 30" long 12" wide and 20" high, say 23 gallon with substrate etc
Using 2 T8s 16 Watts = 32 watts = say 1.4w per gallon
Just bought a new filter interpet Ex 700 which is rated 100/250l.

Got this lot from Greenline.

Contains
10 X MICRO SAGITTARIA
3 X DWARF SWORDS
2 X SAGITTARIA NATANS
BUNCH (7) BABY TEARS BACOPA
5 X CRYPTOCORYNE WENDTII
1 X NARROW SWORD
BUNCH (10) MYACCA FLUVIATILIS
BUNCH (5) CREEPING JENNY
BUNCH (5) HYGRO. POLYSPERMA
BUNCH (5) STRAIGHT VALLISNERIA
BUNCH (5) ELODEA DENSA
BUNCH (5) LUDWIGIA NATANS
BUNCH (5) GREEN CABOMBA
BUNCH (5) BRONZE BACOPA
BUNCH (5) TWISTED VALLISNERIA
2 X SAGITTARIA NATANS
3 X WATER WISTERIA
2 X BULB SPECIES
BUNCH (5) RED SPECIES
5 X SALVINIA FLOATING
2 X AMAZON SWORDS
BUNCH (4) THAILAND STRICTA

Green Cabomba and Elodea Densa doing well but rest looking pale and i do not think the light is getting to the bottom of the tank.

No fish just plants at the moment.

Had a look at the interpet T5s but they say you can fry an egg on the 55w t5s and the caps at the end of the caps get brittle and break so are they are they any good , do they have a starter or are they electronic and where is the best place to get them/cheapest.
Tank is 30" long and i have 24" tubes in it at the moment.
As for the interpet tubes i hear one gives you a pink light and you have to use 2 diferent tubes to brighten the tank up and give it a normal look.
I was looking for twin 55w interpet T5s, would this be overkill.
All help would be appreciated, which light controller, tubes and what wattage will i need.
I have eco complete for a substrate and have pinched a co2 bottle from my partner and using a nutrafin ladder to dose it.
What is the best fertilizer for my plants as flourish burns elodea etc.
By the way i am a newbie and need all the help i can get Davey.

If the interpet lights are not any good are there any more alternatives and dont mention Arcadia, can not afford £150 for a canopy without the lights. LOL

Sorry for mentioning it here but it saves me making another thread on the same subject.

:hyper: :drool: :shout:

Had a look at the interpet T5s but they say you can fry an egg on the 55w t5s and the caps at the end of the caps get brittle and break so are they are they any good , do they have a starter or are they electronic and where is the best place to get them/cheapest.
Tank is 30" long and i have 24" tubes in it at the moment.
As for the interpet tubes i hear one gives you a pink light and you have to use 2 diferent tubes to brighten the tank up and give it a normal look.
I was looking for twin 55w interpet T5s, would this be overkill.
All help would be appreciated, which light controller, tubes and what wattage will i need.
I have eco complete for a substrate and have pinched a co2 bottle from my partner and using a nutrafin ladder to dose it.
What is the best fertilizer for my plants as flourish burns elodea etc.
By the way i am a newbie and need all the help i can get Davey.

You can fry an egg on the 55w end caps as you can on any light bulb. try touching you ceiling bulb.
The problem from the end caps is when people overlap their reflectors behind end caps and therefore a redirecting light at the end cap. The reflectors in mine are cut just before the end cap so they only reflect light into the tank/

Links to tamar are above and they seem to be the cheapest for these units. They have electronic ballast units that yu can hang or put into your cabinet leading to a single end cap. (not one at each end)

The pink interpet tube is the triplus. You can put pink tubes in a tank no probs but I prefer the whiter light, than pink looking sand.

A twin 55W would be overkill which is why I went with the single and altered the ballast to use just one of my T8s. You could get a twin but you would have to ensure you had very constant reliable pressurised CO2 and using a very trusted fert regime dosing daily.

I use Tropica Plan Nutrition Fertiliser but only as a trace every 2 days. I use the full EI method.

p.s. your tank is the same length as min, just not as deep.

Andy

Most reactions

Back