Water wisteria question

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

cowgirluntamed

Fish Herder
Reaction score
So...my wisteria is doing amazing. Kind if behind in my water change schedule due to dumb headache and then a plumbing issue...so going to hopefully finish my diy python system today!

Other plants are still going through their melting phases but hanging in. Lost one coffeefolia due to the fungus on the wood. Not sure if the other will make it either. (Cut roots off and superglued to wood).

Anyway, back to the wisteria. It came potted with really tall thick stems. I just have it all floating and it's got lots of nice roots. Picture below.

20171016_091247.jpg

So the very ends look darker even though they are growing roots. But can I cut the thick stems off in the middle and have the plant be ok? Will this also help it grow?

Thanks for any info!

Stem plants develop leaves and roots from each node along the stem. You can cut the stem at any point provided there are nodes along each cut portion.

When you plant the cut ends in the substrate, the stems will grow up toward the light. Lower leaves frequently yellow and die off, so regular pruning (pull up the stems, cut off the growing tips leaving a few nodes at minimum, and plant the cut end in thee substrate) will keep the plant looking lush. The reason the lower leaves continue to die off is lack of light; the plant puts its energy into the growing tips, closest to the light. In very intense light that reaches the substrate the lower leaves may remain but this takes quite intense light. Especially for this particular plant which is a very fast grower.

Leaving the stems floating, they will continue to grow along the surface and likely up into the air. Cutting the stems (again leaving a few nodes on each piece) isn't something I'd do, because here you are not dealing with the growing tip alone. I've never done this myself, but you will end up with cut bits, and I suspect side shoots could develop. Probably the end result would be thicker floating vegetation having smaller pinnate leaves.

Thanks Byron. I don't plan on planting them. I like them just floating. They are still transitioning a bit as there are some old leaves dying back. It just seems like a tangled mess right now. Maybe I can just sort the stems out and lay them on the top of the water better....lol. If that doesn't work then maybe I can experiment cutting one a bit and see how it does.

Though one more question. If I wanted to propagate this, to be able to stick in another tank later, would cutting it be used for that or will this just grow on its own? I know it's not like water sprite to have little babies off shoot of it.

Thanks Byron. I don't plan on planting them. I like them just floating. They are still transitioning a bit as there are some old leaves dying back. It just seems like a tangled mess right now. Maybe I can just sort the stems out and lay them on the top of the water better....lol. If that doesn't work then maybe I can experiment cutting one a bit and see how it does.

Though one more question. If I wanted to propagate this, to be able to stick in another tank later, would cutting it be used for that or will this just grow on its own? I know it's not like water sprite to have little babies off shoot of it.

All you need to do is move one stem to the other tank. Or maybe two or three stems, up to you. If you cut these above one of the nodes, it might grow two stems from that point. Some of mine did.

If the stems are all still massed together like they were in the pot, you can separate them. Floating, they are best as separate stems.

I don't have much luck with this plant because my light is not bright. But several years ago I did have it in my 70g which was then a SE Asian flooded forest setup. The brighter light in this tank, from two tubes and a shallower tank, was likely the reason this plant thrived. I'll attach a couple photos. I had it planted in the substrate, and allowed it to grow across the surface. There were Water Sprite and Aponogeton, and crypts I think too.

Attachments

• 70g Sep 8-09 Lg.JPG
    70g Sep 8-09 Lg.JPG
    181.9 KB · Views: 195
  • 70g Jan 13-10.JPG
    70g Jan 13-10.JPG
    158.7 KB · Views: 230
Thanks again! I think I just need to try and separate them better. They were at first but that was before they got roots and leafed up towards the light. Lol. I think they just got tangled.

I need to get in and trim my crypts and swords from their old leaves. The crypts wendtii is looking pitiful. The leaves are taking longer to transition than I thought they would. Lol. But I see new ones popping up so that's good. And I have a new leaf from my lilly that I thought may have died but it's coming back! So far I am happy about how the plants are progressing. I love the mystery snails I have. And with them I'm not even sure I want to add the sterbai cories. I may just put my gourami in and call it good. He could have the whole 20 gallons to himself. So far it's been almost 4 weeks and he's doing great in the 10 healthwise. I only noticed a bit of flashing the first week but never saw anything on him. He's nice and active and seems to always be on the move and hungry. Lol. But I want my plants to grow in more before I decide on if I want cories or not. I have other things in the house that need work so maybe not....lol.

Again, thanks for the advice!!

I mistreat my Water wisteria something shocking and its still trying to take over my tank,Rip it cut it, it dont matter, plant just a leaf in the substrate and it grows.

My tank needs a prune too.
inzqcuw.jpg

That is a beautiful tank. I wish my plants grew like that. But I have to ask. Where are the fish[emoji225]

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

All I can find is 3 shrimp and what looks to be a algae eater of some sort.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Most reactions

Back