water test readings can anyone help

the returner

Reaction score
hi , did some water tests on my 4 week old tank. the ph was 7.4 the amonia was 0 but the nitrate was 80 and the niterite was 1.0 so i did a 50% water change and the nitrate n nitrite levels hardly altered ? any ideas why ?? i have a jewel vision 180 running 2 internal filters, one that came with the tank and a fluval plus 4. are these levels ok (i think not but i could be wrong) if not what do i do to reduce them. any help would be appreciated. :(

tank : jewel vision 180 (180L 36 gal aprox) well planted

4 guppys
1 rtb shark
2 peppered cats
1 coolie loach
3 black mollies(with fungus) treating with protozin
1 golden spotted plec

Your tank is still cycling and since you have high nitrates, it is probably finishing cycling. How often have you been doing water changes? I would continue to do small daily water changes, 15 to 20 percent, until the cycle finishes. The nitrite and nitrate readings you got are right on the borderline of being a big problem. Just keep a close check on them and don't let them get any higher.

I would also suggest a couple changes in the fish you have. Corys are schooling fish and need to be in groups of at least 3 but preferably 6. Also, mollys prefer brackish water with some salt but with the corys, you can't add salt. Those 2 don't make very good tank mates. I'm not familiar with the GS pleco but most plecos get too big for a 36 gallon tank.

Most reactions

Back