Water Test Levels Ok Or Not

brian2708

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi,

We had our new fish tank since the beginning of january, and transferred some goldfish to it immediately. As we did not know much about fishkeeping, they all died and now having found your site, and read about cycling, I think I have the reason as to why they all died.

Anyway. This was an ideal opportunity to go tropical.

The tank was setup again about 2 weeks ago, with quite a lot of plants too this time. Our LFS said it would be ok to stock the tank up (again, if I'd found this site before, I wouldn't have!!).

We have 4 neon tetras. 5 black tetras. 2 rosy tetras and 2 rainbow praecox (although, this species needs to be confirmed). The tank is a 63litre tank.

Since buying the fish, and then reading this site, I have been doing 25% water changes every 3 days for the past week, and today I did a 50% water change.

As I got a water test kit yesterday, I have been able to test the quality.

pH is at 7.2
Ammonia 0.25ppm
Nitrite 0ppm
Nitrate 10ppm

What is an acceptable level of ammonia? Should this be 0 with no tolerance? I've assumed that my filter media has established itself in the previous setup (unfortunately whilst killing all the goldfish).

I plan to do a 25% water change every day for the next week or so, is this advisable? Or are my ammonia levels ok?

Thanks for any help in advance.

Your doing the correct thing monitoring it and water changing if u havent already take a look at this Fish-In Cycling :)

you will probably need to keep doing the changes for a few weeks until its fully cycled. Then after it is cyled your ammonia levels should be 0 all the time :good:
But becareful when you add fish because your filter will only be able to handle the ammonia your current amount of fish are producing so u may get anuther ammonia spike.

Hi,

Many thanks for your advice. This website has been a gem to me.

I shall do as planned and see how it works out.

To be honest, I only want to get a few bottom feeders and perhaps another neon tetra when all is good, so it won't be too much of a shock to the the cycle of the tank, and this won't be for a month or so anyway.

I love fish!!!! :lol:

Any levels above 0 for the ammonia AND nitrite means a water change is required to bring it down to 0. Nitrates aren`t so much of a concern, I think around 40 seems acceptable as this is what some peoples water is straight from the tap, it`s when the nitrate levels creep above what the tap reading is that you need to be looking at water changes again :good:

Sounds like you made the same mistake as many others have, you`re not the first and definitely won`t be the last to think it`s a case of setting up a tank and putting fish straight in and they`ll be ok.
Please don`t put too much faith in your lfs either, they`re out to make money and will do it in any way they deem fit, even if it`s to the detriment of the fish or your pocket :grr:

Anything you need to ask then just ask on here, we`re all here to learn and to help each other :)

Thanks elisew,

I've learnt the hard way, but finding this site, and knowing that I'm going to be doing a proper job to ensure my fishes are the most comfortable they can be gives me an enormous sense of wellbeing! hehe. Totally agree with what you said about the LFS, I guess I was a little naive tho. hey ho.

Those pygmy corydoras look fantastic. I shall do some more research into those and maybe get a couple of those.

That many fish during a fish-in cycle of a 63L tank will mean that the ammonia and/or nitrite(NO2) will bounce quickly between 0ppm and 0.25ppm (the first color on your liquid test kit probably.) It can sometimes mean two water changes of significant size per day, especially for the nitrite as you get into later periods of the cycle. The trick is to get the feel of how fast these poisons are re-concentrating after your last water change and to not get lulled and think they won't come back suddenly on you. A log of test results in your aquarium notebook really helps too.

~~waterdrop~~

Hi, Just another question about my setup.

Obviously feeding them lots is a bad idea if you are doing a "fish-in cycle", however, I'm concerned that when I do feed them, I'm not feeding them enough?

The amount I feed them seems to last about 20seconds, most of the tetra's seem to shoot to the top and nab it all, yet the other two praecox rainbows (although I'm still yet to confirm if this is what they are) don't seem to eat any, and if I'm honest, I haven't seen them eat since I got them.

Am I not feeding them enough?

try half ablock of frozen bloodworm.. even the tetras wont eat of that up that fast :p see if the rainbows go for that :)
when i messed up my cycle i was feeding only twice maybe 3 times per week to try and keep waste down.

I think some people forget that water is diff in all parts of the country. I have 4 tanks and none of them go below 0.25 ammoina. All tank are established and cycled and i do 25% water changes everyweek without fail. What im saying is dont get too hung up on the stats as long as your on the good side of them :good:

I think some people forget that water is diff in all parts of the country. I have 4 tanks and none of them go below 0.25 ammoina. All tank are established and cycled and i do 25% water changes everyweek without fail. What im saying is dont get too hung up on the stats as long as your on the good side of them :good:

I tested my tap water today, and it was at

7.6 pH
0.25ppm Ammonia
0ppm Nitrite
5ppm Nitrate

I shall continue to do 25% changes (I'm keeping a log) and a 50% change in a couple of days time and just keep an eye on it.

Another quick question about my setup. During the day, and when I have the tank light on (the light is on a timer), my fish seem to hang around the bottom of the tank, however, if I turn the light off, they will use most of the tank height.

I am considering getting some floating plants. Do you think this will stop this happening, or do i need to get a dimmer lamp? It does seem quite bright, although it is the stock lamp.

Thanks.

Brian

it mite help... but i guess your fish need abit more confidence when they start realising food comes from above and it is safe uptop they will go up alot more frequently :)
my tetras wouldnt feed from the top of the water when i 1st got them now they demolish anything thats left on the top of the water :p

Most reactions

Back