Water Test Kits!

Reaction score
Hi, I'm currently in the process of looking for a decent test kit as my current one is quite old. I've heard from many people on this forum that the Salifert range are the most accurate as well as the most expensive, closely followed by API kits.
But my question is, can we really trust these kits? People say that some kits are better than others but how do they know? Is it because one's more expensive than the other so naturally they assume it's going to be better/more accurate or maybe because the results are more closer to what the water params should actually be?

I'm sorry if this seems like a stupid question but I honestly can't see how we can assume if a particular test kit is more accurate than another simply because It may possibly be a better make/more expensive/used in the industry more.

99% of fish keepers [not just marine] maintain/make changes/dose/treat their tanks according to their test results, thinking that it will help improve/remedy their tanks when in fact we could be doing more harm than good.

Has anyone ever used a different number of kits at the same time on the same tank water to see if much, or any difference in results [And which one is right?] Surely all the different 'branded' kits use the same chemicals to measure/test the water for certain substances so are we just paying for the name?

Are any of these kits accurate? Are they all accurate/in-accurate in some way and ultimatly, can they be trusted?

Once again sorry if this seems stupid and its probably been covered before on this and other forums.

Please give me your thoughts/opinions on this as I'm dying to know. Cheers all.

Hi, I'm currently in the process of looking for a decent test kit as my current one is quite old. I've heard from many people on this forum that the Salifert range are the most accurate as well as the most expensive, closely followed by API kits.
But my question is, can we really trust these kits? People say that some kits are better than others but how do they know? Is it because one's more expensive than the other so naturally they assume it's going to be better/more accurate or maybe because the results are more closer to what the water params should actually be?

I'm sorry if this seems like a stupid question but I honestly can't see how we can assume if a particular test kit is more accurate than another simply because It may possibly be a better make/more expensive/used in the industry more.

99% of fish keepers [not just marine] maintain/make changes/dose/treat their tanks according to their test results, thinking that it will help improve/remedy their tanks when in fact we could be doing more harm than good.

Has anyone ever used a different number of kits at the same time on the same tank water to see if much, or any difference in results [And which one is right?] Surely all the different 'branded' kits use the same chemicals to measure/test the water for certain substances so are we just paying for the name?

Are any of these kits accurate? Are they all accurate/in-accurate in some way and ultimatly, can they be trusted?

Once again sorry if this seems stupid and its probably been covered before on this and other forums.

I think all liquid test kits are much of a muchness and do the same thing but with different colour charts. I have used both the nutrafin and API test kits and they seem very similar. One indicated ever so slightly different to the other when testing the ammonia on both but then that could be down to user error as if you look at the results in different light they can appear different.

Id say go for the API as the colour charts seem better and they get raving reviews but on saying that they all test and do the same thing. On ebay you can get the API at a reasonable price.

Can you trust them.........thousands/millions of people would have dead fish if they didnt work :p as the fish would die from toxic/deadly water
good.gif
and then once the fish died the test kits would get killer reviews saying they failed to show the readings and fish died as a result

I think all liquid test kits are much of a muchness and do the same thing but with different colour charts. I have used both the nutrafin and API test kits and they seem very similar. One indicated ever so slightly different to the other when testing the ammonia on both but then that could be down to user error as if you look at the results in different light they can appear different.

Id say go for the API as the colour charts seem better and they get raving reviews but on saying that they all test and do the same thing. On ebay you can get the API at a reasonable price.

Can you trust them.........thousands/millions of people would have dead fish if they didnt work :p as the fish would die from toxic/deadly water
good.gif
and then once the fish died the test kits would get killer reviews saying they failed to show the readings and fish died as a result

Thanks for the quick reply mate? I also think that they are pretty much all the same but if that is the case then why do some people spend an extra 30/40 squid on a different brand when it pretty obvious that they all use the same chemicals? Anyway gonna contradict myself now and go with the api as they're CHEAPER than most others.
I'm currently using Tropic Marin.

I know lets all do a vote!

Which ever test kit each individual uses,post the name of that kit and why you prefere it.
I think that as the topic gets older more and more people will get an idea of which test kit is popular and why and hopefully it won't just be beneficial to me but others too. :look:

good.gif

Thanks for the quick reply mate? I also think that they are pretty much all the same but if that is the case then why do some people spend an extra 30/40 squid on a different brand when it pretty obvious that they all use the same chemicals? Anyway gonna contradict myself now and go with the api as they're CHEAPER than most others.

Iv had no problems with the nutrafin test kit mind but i bought the master test kit and it came with 2 Ph tests. The higher test and the lower but the bottles colour and label did not match the colour charts and when i called hagen they said the bottles were labeled wrong and were switched, and to use the opposite bottle to the opposite test sheet if that makes sense. I was expecting a replacement but nothing was mentioned so from then on i thought ill just use all the tests up and when i need to buy a few things just buy the API master kit. I have the API ammonia test kit and you seem to get alot more tests in it, the test tubes are better and the feel of it so to speak seems alot better. So thats my next move. It seems to get raving revies on here also.

Couldnt believe P@H were selling API kits for 32.99 and my LFS £20 big contrast!

Which ever test kit each individual uses,post the name of that kit and why you prefere it.
I think that as the topic gets older more and more people will get an idea of which test kit is popular and why and hopefully it won't just be beneficial to me but others too. :look:

If you edit the original post can you add a pole or is it too late? Not sure if it has to be done at the start. Just a thought

good.gif

Iv had no problems with the nutrafin test kit mind but i bought the master test kit and it came with 2 Ph tests. The higher test and the lower but the bottles colour and label did not match the colour charts and when i called hagen they said the bottles were labeled wrong and were switched, and to use the opposite bottle to the opposite test sheet if that makes sense. I was expecting a replacement but nothing was mentioned so from then on i thought ill just use all the tests up and when i need to buy a few things just buy the API master kit. I have the API ammonia test kit and you seem to get alot more tests in it, the test tubes are better and the feel of it so to speak seems alot better. So thats my next move. It seems to get raving revies on here also.

Couldnt believe P@H were selling API kits for 32.99 and my LFS £20 big contrast!

If you edit the original post can you add a pole or is it too late? Not sure if it has to be done at the start. Just a thought

Tried mate. too late! As for pets at home they're the same as wal mart. CRAP and aint got a clue!

Come on guys don't be shy! Give us your thoughts on the test kit you use and why that particular one.

It's a vote not a debate! Lol

Salifert all the way for me - some are a pain to do, drip, drip - you will know what I mean if you have one!!

I believe the D & D ones are good as well, but not used them myself

Seffie x

Salifert all the way for me - some are a pain to do, drip, drip - you will know what I mean if you have one!!

I believe the D & D ones are good as well, but not used them myself

Seffie x

Thanks Seffie [I heard tho that the salifert phosphate test isn't that good] What do you think?

Mine is fine pal ;)

I just picked up a salifert phosphate kit today and is definatley more accurate, as I have been gradually swapping over from Nutrafin master kit as each test ran out. I have compared the results of both kits, especially when they include a check liquid (e.g KH) and my Nutrafin was way out compared to the salifert.

I wouldn't go back. Salifert all the way for me now

Mine is fine pal ;)

I just picked up a salifert phosphate kit today and is definatley more accurate, as I have been gradually swapping over from Nutrafin master kit as each test ran out. I have compared the results of both kits, especially when they include a check liquid (e.g KH) and my Nutrafin was way out compared to the salifert.

I wouldn't go back. Salifert all the way for me now

Hi mate. this is precisely my point. You said that Nutrfin was way out compared to Salifert but how do you know? Salifert could be way out compared to Nutrafin or neither could be entirely accurate.I presume you maintained your tank depending on the results of the Nutrafin test kit. Do you know if you lost any fish due to bad water? This Is why i started this topic.

Salifert are more accurate mate, Like using a ruler and then using a micrometer to measure the same thing.
Api, nutrifin will give you an idea, Salifert will give you a better one. My experience anyway, as I have API and Nutrifin Master test kits aswell ;)

Everyone keeps mentioning api and salifert and when I search the web for kits these two always come up first. So personally now for me it's down to these two I think. Think api will get my vote as it's cheaper and they all use the same chemicals at the end of the day.

Everyone keeps mentioning api and salifert and when I search the web for kits these two always come up first. So personally now for me it's down to these two I think. Think api will get my vote as it's cheaper and they all use the same chemicals at the end of the day.

And with alot of people using API on here or being familiar with them should you or anyone ever need to post pictures of the results everyone or alot of people will be working off the same thing! We will beable to look at hard copy's of the test results sheets for API.

But when it comes to posting results the human eye will always be more accurate as pictures can be misleading :)

Most reactions

Back