Water Test - Is This Normal?

doraemon213

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
Started with fish-in cycle, test results showed that it was cycled about 2 weeks ago, with 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite and 5 nitrate.

However, started a few days back the nitrate has dropped and now the test result seems to show 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite AND 0 nitrate (either 0, or really really close to 0, I can't tell). Is it normal to have none of these? Does that mean I am not feeding enough?

It is a 10 gallon tank with 2 fish and 2 live plants.

Thanks!

It's normal. The plants will be absorbing the nitrate to fuel their growth. Some people deliberately put nitrate in their tanks so their plants are happy even. :)

Just cos I'm curious, what are the 2 fish? I'd love to see pics if you have any.

It could also be a false reading - quite common with the API nitrate test.  You need to be sure to shake very vigorously for the allotted period of time.  A quick shake is not sufficient like with the ammonia and nitrite tests.

It is possible its cycled. You nailed it when your started with two small fish. This controls the ammonia levels because two small fish can only create so much ammonia.

Without more details I am hesitant to say 100% you are cycled for your load now. But it looks that way. It is possible you actually have 0 nitrates or at least extremely low levels the kit could miss. Two small fish produce a low bio-load. So it is entirely possible between water changes and two plants there would be no nitrates showing up on the test.

But the keys for you are not nitrates, they are the ammonia and the nitrite readings. Did you get these, did you see them rise and then drop to 0 one after the other? If so you are cycled. It sure sounds as if you should be.

If you are not sure you could try and redo the nitrate test. Really make sure to shake the bottles (as was already said) because if you don't you could get an innacurate reading. Also, I've never tried this, so I'm not sure how well it would work, but if you have a separate storage container on the side, a quick way to check to see if it really is your plants which are absorbing the nitrates is to take the plants out for a few days and see if your nitrate number grows.

TwoTankAdmin gave some good advice about making sure you are cycled, however, it seems like you are, and with TwoTank's advice, and the test I said above, if they both work favorably, you definitely should be good to go. Just remember to take things slowly.

Also props to you with starting an aquarium with two small fish and cycling. I personally would have recommend fish-less cyclying but what you did works and it is signifcantly better than what many other fishkeepers do when they are first starting in the hobby.

Hope I helped!

Most reactions

Back