Water Temp

ok well. do you own any ph, amonia, nitrite, nitrate kits?
if not i suggest you go out and purchase some considering they are a must for all fish owners.
to figure out when a water change is needed follow the instructiuons on the packaging of the kits to figure out how to use them. on the back or on the instruction manual it should state the conditions your water should be. (eg. amonia levels, nitrate and nitrite levels as well as the ph levels). i personaly change around 25 to 50 percent of my tanks water volume as would most other fish enthusiasts do.
i hope this helps.
regards community begginer

and the answer to the question about temperature is where on that reply?

Ideally, the new water should be the same temperature as your current tank. I personally purchase a medium kitchen bin and a 25W heater from ebay. It takes about 24 hours but typically I fill it on the thursday and switch heater on for a saturday filling.

However there is no need for this extent either unless you are keeping very sensitive fish. usualy taking tap water into a bucket/bin big enough for you water change (usually 25%-30% weekly (this can be longer, but regular maintenence is better I personally do it weekly due to my dodgy filter constantly blocking)) and let it sit for 24 hours or so to comt to room temp. you can add some fresh boiling water from a kettle to bring it up a bit if you wish.

I have no space to leave buckets of water standing around (young children and - worse- young children's obnoxious little friends!) so I mix my water up when I am ready to start the water change, in 10 ltr buckets (the heaviest I can comfortably carry through the house without spilling). To each bucket I add 1 ltr of boiling water from the kettle and 9 ltrs of cold tap water, mix in dechlorinator and in the tank it goes! This seems to give about the right temperature.
As I have several tanks, I use separate buckets for clean and dirty water; this makes sure that if I have an infection in one tank it is not transmitted. The maximum amount of water I ever need to change on one tank is 20 ltrs, so I keep two 10 ltr buckets for clean water, and two for dirty (so I don't have to interrupt the suction to empty the bucket). If I only had the one tank I would use the same buckets for clean and dirty, so could get away with two buckets.

same temp water (near as damn it if u aint got a themometer) as water in ur tank

i use a clean pan to heat up water (dont like to use kettle) and then add the heated water into the cold - when at right temp add de-chlorinator and siphon in tank slowly

but everyone has a different way of doing it!! just whatever method u find the easiest but has the same outcome = same temp as water in ur tank!

Thanks Guys.

I have the water test kits, but i was just concerned about the actual temp of the new water, i havent any fish just yet but i want to be prepared once get them and have to do my 1st water change.

Years ago (about 25) i had a goldfish, i won it at the fairground, my mum cleaned it out one day and nearly boiled it alive, she thought the cold water was too cold and added some hot water, but it was too hot and the poor thing was jumping out the tank, it did survive and lived until it was 17, but she never added hot water to it again...

i just wanted to make sure i didnt add too hot or too cold water and stress my fish.

I just put my hand in the tank and then turn the faucets hot and cold on till I get the right temp. I use the python to fill the tanks so I always put the tank thermometer near the water flow. I'm usually within a degree or 2. If it climbs I add more cold, if it drops I add a bit more hot.

once im into my own new place, Im setting up a shelving rack for a number of my tanks that will be going in. As the top shelve is pretty redundant as somewhere to display fish, im hooking up two large storage tubs (100ltr) with a simple faucet. As these are up high, getting the water to flow down into the tanks will be no problem. top it up with a hose.

Like as has been said here, lugging the water about can be hard...

dont worry too much about the temp - it'll heat up quick enough...

most fish actually like a cold water change... no differrent to a heavy downfall of rain...

Smithrc is totally right. It heats up fast enough in the tank! The only time this does not apply is when you are doing more than a 50% water change.

My fish are all perfectly happy with cold water being added and sometimes it even starts them spawning as they think the rains are starting.

Most reactions

Back