Water Readings

ssmith24

Reaction score
I have been battling high level ammonia for a week now. One the advise of a member I stopped adding ammonia lock. I've also increased water changes to twice a day 20-25%. I have a 55g tank that is cycling and am going through a bacteria bloom.

Day 15 of cycle
Ph readings typically 6.6 - 7. This morning it was 7
Ammonia 4!!!!! Water changes are not reducing the level.
Nitrite currently 0, was up to .25 but now back to 0
Nitrate 5

I'm using API Freshwater kit. I've tested my tap and ammonia is 0. I have 2 plecs (8" and 6") in the tank so I have a lot of waste. I've cleaning up the waste when I do water changes. Food? 4 algae tabs everyother day.

It just doesn't make any sense that the ammonia is not coming down given the level of water changes? Should I be doing something else? I stop with the ammona lock 2 days ago (or 5 water changes). Is it possible for kits to expire? Or get false readings?

Kits can expire and they can be contaminated, as can your test tubes.

Try taking some water to an LFS and asking them to test it and see what you get - you'll be able to compare results.

However, as you are cycling, i suspect the kit is right and your tank is expericening high ammonia.
Are you still seeding the tank (with ammonia or whatever).
How did you start the cycle.
Are you replacing the removed water with dechlorinated water?

Get another test kit from a different manufacturer. I have the one you have, plus a Tetra test strip.

If Ammonia really is at 4, I don't see how your Plecs are still alive - they may be in serious stress and you may wish to return them to the store until your filter media is mature. Are the Plecs behaving ok?

Upon doing a water change your readings should definitely change. If you have Ammonia at 4 and you do a 50% change it should read around 2 immediately afterwards.

it will take a while for the locked ammonia to stop showing on the test results
that is what ammo-lock does, locks it.
I would add carbon to the filter to absorb the ammo lock and then test 24hrs later to see if there is a difference.

it will take a while for the locked ammonia to stop showing on the test results
that is what ammo-lock does, locks it.
I would add carbon to the filter to absorb the ammo lock and then test 24hrs later to see if there is a difference.

I agree with the wolf, but at the same time I'd be wary of your test kit in general... I've yet to see a tank on day 14 of a cycle either fished or fishless that reads 0 nitrIte, thats highly unusual. Also, its exceptionally unusual to read ammonia in your tapwater :crazy:. Ammonia is toxic to humans as well as fish and at least in New York State, it is illegal for a municipality to supply water with a concentration of greater than 0.01ppm of ammonia. I'm not sure if thats the case where you live, but I do know that ammonia in tapwater is highly unusual.

I've never had experience with an API test kit so I cant comment there, but is it a strip or a liquid. In general liquid kits are more relaible than strips, but both can go bad either sitting on your shelf or in your LFS' stockroom over time.

I'd reccomend trying a 50% water change to see if the reading drops by half. If it does not, something is wrong with your kit.

I agree with most of what has been said. Thank you so much for the response. Just want to clarify a few points...

I moved 2 plecs from my pond as the weather is too cold for them to survive outdoors. The plecs were moved into an uncycled tank. The Plecs seem to be doing fine. Active, looking for food.

My tap water has ammonia reading of 0, which it should. This is why I'm so confused about the tanks' ammonia reading. Based on one of the comments about the test tubes, I think I'll heat some water and try to clean them that way. How do y'all clean the test tubes after testing?

Regarding Nitrite. Mine is 0. I thought I day 14 I should be between 0 and .5. So it seems the readings are normal (unless I mistaken). What should Nitrite readings be at Day 14? I had some elevation in Nitrite, no more than .25, but figured the water changes were eliminating the Nitrite.

Nitrate is 5. I think I should be seeing readings between 0 and 10 ppm.

BTW, on my way home from work today I stopped at the LFS and bought an ammonia "idiot button" :*)
Basically, it attaches to the side of the tank and the indicator turns color depending on the level of ammonia (safe, alert, alarm and toxic) I told you it was an idiot button. Anyway, it's reading "safe". Most definitely is not reading "alarm" or "toxic"

From the comments I received, I seems that my instincts were on the right track. The plecs would be in serious distress at a 4 ammonia level. And, I should see an immediate reduction in ammonia with water changes.

Most reactions

Back