Water is cloudy in my 1ft tank which has Amazonia v2 soil

manishr78

Reaction score
recently set up a new 1-foot x 1 foot aquarium and opted to use Amazonia v2 soil as a substrate. Currently, there are no plants in the tank, and I took care to wash the soil thoroughly before adding. However, I have observed that the water remains somewhat cloudy rather than being crystal clear, even in the absence of livestock. I attempted to replace all the water using a suitable dechlorinate, but the issue persists. Is it necessary to include plants whenever soil is utilized in an aquarium?

Additionally, I am considering creating a Monte Carlo carpet, but my previous experiences with soil have not been favorable, as I have struggled to achieve clear water. Could anyone provide guidance on whether I am making any mistakes? Furthermore, is it possible to cultivate Monte Carlo in fine gravel instead of soil, provided that appropriate fertilizers, minerals, and CO2 dosing are applied?

Most aquarium soils are not meant to be rinsed, you may have damaged its structure, if so you may have to start again. I have used soil a couple of times and it has taken over two weeks/month for the water to clear up. Frequent gentle but large water changes can speed the process up, as can using a polishing pad in the filter once it starts to clear. In my experience it will not fully clear until a biofilm starts to grow, in my opinion it is the biofilm that actually traps the finest of the particles.

To me there is not much sense using aquarium soil if you are not putting plants, the soil is for the plants. Others have used semipermeable bags of soil under a cap of sand, this might allow the silt to clear out sooner and also prevent fish from stirring up the soil as well.

When using soil careful placement of the soil in the tank and careful filling help prevent silt from being stirred up into the water. One thing to watch for is whether the flow from your filter systems stir up the silt, if so you might have to redirect or reduce the flow.

Using soil requires a lot of care and attention to detail, even after it is established. Soil also breaks down after time, so your arrangements are temporary. I tend to re-arrange my tanks every year or two I don't know how long it can last, other might know. Aquarium soil doesn't like to be moved once placed.

I am thinking of doing another soiled tank but this time I will be using bags of soil capped.

Others are far more knowledgeable on this subject. I cannot speak to the Monte Carlo or C02 my focus is mostly on the livestock.

Most reactions

Back