Water hard.

kevore

Reaction score
I just tested the levels in my tank and the water is very very hard (425 reading). I have two mollies in the tank and I believe (correct me if I'm wrong) these fish like a softer water. Can I just toss some aquarium salt directly into the tank? Or should I add dissolved salt with the next water change?

If I toss the salt directly into the tank will the fish think it's food and try to eat it? Is it even really necessary to soften the water for my fish?

Please advise...
Thanks,
Karen

Really? It was my understanding that aquarium salt brings hardness levels down.

I'm confused now...
Karen

it mite, im not sure i think i wuz thinking of pH, sry
i do know mollies can have salt in their tank, some ppl think they prefer it, just make sure water is clean, they can be sensitive, but i am sure they are hard water

Hi kevore :)

Is there a problem with your mollies? :dunno: Are they sick?

If not, it's usually best to leave well enough alone. Don't add anything to your tank unless it's really necessary.

Years ago, mollies were always kept in brackish (salty) water, but these days many of them are being born and kept in fresh water. It's probably best not to change them from what they were kept in when you bought them from the lfs.

The same is true for pH and hardness. Keep all your fish in the kind of water they are used to. Don't make changes unless you absolutely must. It is just one more thing you will have to keep up once you start.

Also, salt is not recommended for use in tanks with scaleless fish such as catfish and loaches. It is, however, excellent for treating ich, so it's good to keep some on hand, "just in case."

Oops! Well, I just did a water change and threw some salt in before reading your post.

I guess I'll just stop doing that from now on and the water will gradually revert back to its hard state. Or maybe I should buy some bogwood and put it in the tank? I think I read that somewhere else in this forum.

This is all so confusing... <<sigh>> Little did I know that my $5 garage sale aquarium find would come to rule my life...

Do not justthrow it in. Dilute it in some water first. You could just grab a cup (make sure all detergent is well rinsed out of the cup) full of aquarium water, add the salt, and pour the salt water in some where that the fish are not going to just swim in immediatelly, or at least have it diluted as possible.

Obviouslly this is if you keep using salt.

If you want to remove the salt, do another water change. It will take several water changes before it is totally gone, though. Salt does not dissipate or leave the tank by itself. It must actually be removed.

Changing your tanks chemistry is serious business. If you don't plan to keep it steady, it's best to leave it alone. And, unless your fish are showing signs of an actual problem, don't do anything with it.

If you do have loaches or catfish, it would be good if you do the water change tonight since salt is irritating to them.

Much of my equipment was bought at yard sales, too. By next summer you will be looking for another one! :D

Thanks for all your advice guys! Actually I dissolved the salt in the water change before I added it to the tank--didn't just toss it in. And I don't have any loaches or catfish yet, but will probably get a cory or two after the tank is done cycling. I'm also doing daily water changes for the next few weeks until the tank is done cycling so that should take care of the salt problem by then. (or at least most of it I imagine)

And as long as we're on the subject of mollies...one of my mollies spends half the day frantically swimming up and down the side of the tank. Is this normal behavior or is she freaking out??

Thanks,
Karen

Yes, your daily water changes will soon rid your tank of the salt. :nod:

When you stock your tank, plan to get 2 or 3 corys, if you get any. They are a schooling fish and if they are alone will be timid and shy. Their real personalities shine when they are with companions. They are friendly and fun to keep. :thumbs:

Now, mollies are a fish that a number of the forum members know a lot more about than I do, so I suggest you post another thread, perhaps in the Livebearers section, to get their advice.

Good luck with your cycling. :D

Thanks, I'll do that! And I'll keep the info about the cory's in mind--wouldn't want them to get too lonely! :p

Most reactions

Back