Water Changes/cleaning

bonovox

Reaction score
Hey Everyone!

Just looking for some reviews or advice on which vacuum to purchase to clean substrate?

I've read some pretty good reviews on Lee's Ultimate GravelVac Kit and the Aqueon.

What do you use or suggest?

Thanks for the help!

Iv used afew. In the end I found the Hagen Marina Easyclean.
Its by far the best one iv used. They come in 3 different lengths to suit your tank depth and are anti clog.
Plus a garden hose fits straight onto the end of it so you can syphon straight into the garden, no buckets needed! However, its no python which seems to be what your looking for.

I bought this one from Pets at Home, it was about £12 and has been excellent for well over a year now.

http://www.petsathome.com/shop/multi-gravel-washer-by-marina-30356?cm_re=barilliance-_-up%20sell-_-product%20details

11270.jpg

I'm just looking for something that will make my water changes a little easier. I would rather not carry bucket after bucket back and forth, lol!

To be honest, I'm still a little confused as to how to do these water changes. Meaning, I don't know the best method to use. The first couple of times I've had to do it I just stick a jug in the tank to pull out some old tank water and then replace with my dechlorinated water from another bucket.

Is this an okay process? I'm guessing so but there's something in the back of my head telling me there's an easier way, lol.

I syphon my tanks with a garden hose into the bath (live in a flat so no garden
no.gif
 ) and vacuum the substrate at the same time. When it comes to refilling I attach a mixer tap connector to tap, connect the hose, dose the tank with dechlorinator, and then start to fill. Means large water changes take no time at all, and doesn't require lugging buckets around the place.

What you're doing sounds ok, but you should try and vacuum the substrate too as that's where most of the cr*p settles.

njstockley said:
I syphon my tanks with a garden hose into the bath (live in a flat so no garden :no: ) and vacuum the substrate at the same time. When it comes to refilling I attach a mixer tap connector to tap, connect the hose, dose the tank with dechlorinator, and then start to fill. Means large water changes take no time at all, and doesn't require lugging buckets around the place.

What you're doing sounds ok, but you should try and vacuum the substrate too as that's where most of the cr*p settles.
Yep this is pretty much what I do

search for "python" - it's a drain/fill hose with a Y adapter at the tap/sink end that lets you drain and fill the tank easily.  I made a DIY one out of garden hose that works well, the only downside is standard garden hose is quite small diameter and for a 2ft tank is fine but for a 3ft would be quite slow.  I would be tempted to use the larger bore garden hose for a bigger tank to get the flow rate up.

Geoff- said:
search for "python" - it's a drain/fill hose with a Y adapter at the tap/sink end that lets you drain and fill the tank easily.  I made a DIY one out of garden hose that works well, the only downside is standard garden hose is quite small diameter and for a 2ft tank is fine but for a 3ft would be quite slow.  I would be tempted to use the larger bore garden hose for a bigger tank to get the flow rate up.
How fast does it need to be?
I use garden hose - a piece just long enough to stick out the window, to siphon out 1/2 of my 350l tank - takes 10, maybe 15 minutes. Add water treatment for the whole 350l. Then refill from the bath / shower mixer with another length of garden hose - that's a longer piece, about 16m. Another 10-15 mins. Way easier and quicker than the buckets I used to use before finding this forum and a previous thread on the home made python subject!

Thanks! So I definitely need a vacuum to clean under the substrate. Here comes the trial and error, lol!

Liz xty said:
How fast does it need to be?
I use garden hose - a piece just long enough to stick out the window, to siphon out 1/2 of my 350l tank - takes 10, maybe 15 minutes. Add water treatment for the whole 350l. Then refill from the bath / shower mixer with another length of garden hose - that's a longer piece, about 16m. Another 10-15 mins. Way easier and quicker than the buckets I used to use before finding this forum and a previous thread on the home made python subject!
hi Liz
Can you remember the link for the thread on home-made pythons? I'd like to make water changes more simple and less messy if I can and the proprietory one is over £50 on Ebay. If I can find a cheaper method that would be great.

It's titled " Tutorial - DIY python system"
I can't work out how to do a direct link to it though, sorry.

Most reactions

Back