Wanting To Get A Pair Of Gourami's

Aveena

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
hi. i am wanting to get a pair of gourmis, but was wondering whether a 59litre/15ukgallons is big enough. i am thinking of selling my other fish, bug keep the flagfish. are they ok with flagfish? and would someone be able to recomend a type of gourami that would be a good size for my tank.
i do like the look of dwarf, and sparking gourami's ..

all help appriciated. (<---not sure if thats spelt right)
thanks

you could get dwarf gouramis, they are stunning little fish, and ever so nice to watch, tho they are prone to ulcers IME,so water must be kept tip top

shelagh xx

Yeh, either Dwarf or Honey Gouramis will fit into that tank

Hi, if you go for Dwarf Gourami then it is best to keep 1 male to at least 2 females. He would hound just 1 female and if she refused to mate then it might be to death. Also 2 males alone would result in a fight unless the tank is very large with plenty of 'line of sight' obstructions.

They also prefer a well planted tank that has matured after cycling for at least 6 months.

Dwarf Gourami are also very prone to developing a type of bacterial ulser around the mouth to gill area very often immune to treatment leading to death.

I have had this happen to me twice over the years and no longer even try to keep them (and I hate being beaten :shifty: )

Good luck :good:

ok....thanks for the warning. so you say to get 2 females and 1 male. oki....is there anyother way to sex them other than the dorsal fin?

ok....thanks for the warning. so you say to get 2 females and 1 male. oki....is there anyother way to sex them other than the dorsal fin?

The female are more of a silvery colour

Or Red Robin gourami, they are lush and cheeky and playful. I have honeys, dwarf and red robin [of the smaller gourami varieties] and the red robin ones are the most 'confident' the honeys and the dwarf do come out to play but they spend more time hiding than the reds x

I'd go for Honey Gouramis, too much risk with Dwarf Gouramis. Once they get the Iridovirus, it's curtains, I'm afraid.

Most reactions

Back