Wanted To Add Fish Tomorrow But High Nitrates!

alexpb22

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I recently cycled my tank a few days ago and have since performed three 100% water changes but I still have really high Nitrate readings!

I was planning on going to the LFS tomorrow to get my first fish to introduce but I'm concerned about the Nitrates as they won't seem to come down.

I also only have artificial plants.

What can I do as I'm out of ideas? I really was hoping to finally get the fish in.

nitrate: about 80ppm

What's the nitrate level of the your tap water?

What's the nitrate level of the your tap water?[/quote

Hmmm, just tested the tap water and it is exactly the same. Think it's either 40or 80ppm but think it's the higher.

What can I do about the tap water?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 92
It looks like you might not have added the right number of drops to the right hand tube as it's significantly lower than the left one also it has a pinkish tone rather than a orangey/reddish one.
Might be worth rechecking the test to be sure

It is impossible to read test results unless the tube is held directly next to the bars with the white part of the card behind the tube and with the tube touching the card. This is the only way to have any shot at seeing the actual reading. And even this will not guarantee anything as colors are subjective. But the way the picture shows the tubes is almost worthless for determining the level.

No one can tell the difference between the 40 ppm and the 80 ppm shades of red. If it were me I would assume 40 ppm and add the fish anyway because if your water has that level of nitrates there is nothing you can do about it. My tanks have run with the nitrates in the same red zone as yours on the API scale for the last twelve years with no apparent problems. I have Clown loaches too and they seem unconcerned with the nitrate level, so unconcerned that I believe so long as the API Master test kit doesn't show a reading that looks like the 160 ppm I am no longer bothered.

if you add fish soon, you should consider acclimating them using the drip method so they are introduced to new water parameters slowly.

Seeing you tap water ph is fairly high,  You should  make sure you don't overstock the tank with fish as then the nitrates may go into the danger zone.

You also might consider some easy low maintenance plants to absorb some of the nitrates--plants like anubias and java fern (mounted on rock or wood), and maybe some jungle val and/or moneywort.

What size is the tank?

Thanks everyone, I retested this morning and the levels have come down to around 20 or 30ppm, so I think we are OK now. I'm also going to buy a couple of floaty plants today to add as all mine are artifical.

The tank is 125l. I'm getting some fish today but am going to gradually stock over the next few weeks.

If you have fishless cycled, and it sounds like you have, then you should really add fish all at once. If you add the fish gradually, the bacteria you have built up will kinda die off (they don't actually die) and you run the risk of a minicycle when you add extra fish.

What PPM of ammonia did you cycle with, OP?

I live in an area where my water starts off at 40-80ppm too. I spent week or two trying frantically to correct it until I tested the tap water after digging through the forums. 

I carefully track my ammonia and nitrate level and do periodic changes regardless basically - I also took advice to not stock anywhere close to 100% and have some natural plants in the mix. So I'm the same as ShinySideUp - I stress when my water spikes a level towards 160ppm. 

fluttermoth said:
What PPM of ammonia did you cycle with, OP?
I originally started with 4ppm but after some confusion dropped down to 2ppm and then up to 5ppm. I am fully cycled now and introduced fish in three separate stages over several weeks. I have done regular testing and so far have had no ammonia or nitrites show up although nitrates come in regularly around 30ppm

Matt75 said:
I live in an area where my water starts off at 40-80ppm too. I spent week or two trying frantically to correct it until I tested the tap water after digging through the forums. 

I carefully track my ammonia and nitrate level and do periodic changes regardless basically - I also took advice to not stock anywhere close to 100% and have some natural plants in the mix. So I'm the same as ShinySideUp - I stress when my water spikes a level towards 160ppm.
The water here is a nightmare as it's always high in nitrates. I did add a plant which has helped bring it down but I still get readings of 30ppm. I am starting to get some brown algae growing on the plants. Not sure if this is because the tank is new or whether it's the high nitrates. Not sure what to do really.

Most reactions

Back