Want To Avoid Overstocking

robert.sadler

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Yellow there

I'm just about to set up another tank and was thinking of getting a bunch of male guppies

The tank is 60cmx30cmx30cm so comes in at 12 gallons.

I'm basically wondering with really good filtration what is the absolute maximum I can put in there?

I want it to be quite a busy tank so teh more the merrier I was thinking of putting both guppies and swordtails in there because as far as I've read they reach similar size and are both nice and colourful?

Cheerie bye bye

Robert

i would go with roughly 7-8 but what is your filtaration like, as if its good you could well keep more in there.

15 guppies would be max unless you want to do water changes every day.
Don't mix the swordtails because they get to at least twice the size of the guppies and males swords might hammer a few of the guppies.

I use a similar size tank for rearing baby rainbowfish. I keep about 50 fish in each tank and feed them quite heavily. However, I change 2/3 of the water each day. If I miss a water change I lose fish.

Don't mix the swordtails because they get to at least twice the size of the guppies and males swords might hammer a few of the guppies.

I use a similar size tank for rearing baby rainbowfish. I keep about 50 fish in each tank and feed them quite heavily. However, I change 2/3 of the water each day. If I miss a water change I lose fish.

Yup, I agree. Swordtails and guppies are not the same size. You could try some platies if you want to add something a bit different.

Yup, I agree. Swordtails and guppies are not the same size. You could try some platies if you want to add something a bit different.

Cool what I think I'll do then is set up the tank and put 10 Guppies in there see how that looks then maybe add more from there.

Maybe pop a few platies in at a later date.

Should be quite a cool different looking tank this one

I'm going to be using some artwork from an Adam F album cover for the background with a fine black gravel and super bright plants to compliment the super bright fish :)

Most reactions

Back