Walkin' around, taking snapshots...

GaryE

Staff member
Global Moderator ⚒️
Reaction score
A killie, Aphyosemion ottogartneri. then an annual, Nothobranchius rubripinnis. Notho in top photo.
IMG_2071.JPG
IMG_2080.JPG

Great fish! The images are really good too. I remember back in 'the day' using film and a sheet of glass inside the tank to capture images of fast movers. Technology today...

This is what it's all about. Tiny little living jewels, in little remote waters, just being ridiculously colourful for the sake of it. It's why I fell in love with fish.

The ottogartneri woke up my sweet tooth, love those colours. The escherichi reminds me of zebra danios.

That Congo bushfish has attitude. When did you get him?

Ah, there's a story, @gwand. I had a pair I got through an importer, and when I was starting to disassemble the fishroom to move east, the male jumped and I couldn't save him. The female went over two years before they came in again. I bought a bunch last year, and got two males and four more females. The congicum in the photo was showing off to the older female when I went into the fishroom.
I've been videoing them, but am always glad she finally got to be with her species again, even if it took a couple of years in the wilderness. I think I may have some breeding soon. He is looking really good.

So are African Anabantoid cousins to Asian bettas?

So are African Anabantoid cousins to Asian bettas?
Distant, but there is a connection. Labyrinth fish, ambush predators, etc. Maybe plate tectonics?

The Bush fish group is large. I caught one in Gabon that was destined to become huge, and another that was destined to grow to a few cm. I raised a bunch of Microctenopoma ansorgii years ago, and Microctenopoma nanum were bubblenesters here. They were also, alas, velvet magnets, and I lost them.

Even in rare fish circles, you don't see them often. They look awful in store tanks, for one thing. Drab. If you know what you're getting and are patient, they are gems. They take their time becoming good looking, but to me, when they get there, they are fantastic.

I would keep anything Ctenopoma-y. I've kept kingsleyi and they are an absolute joy. Beautiful fish, endearing personality. And they seem very intelligent.

The Aphyosemion escherichi and striatum look very similar.

The Nothobranchius rubripinnis is lovely and the Microctenopoma congicum has coloured up well.

Nice pictures, thanks for sharing :)

Escherichi is quite a bit larger than striatum, by half a body length. They're very robust.

I'm surprised we didn't catch striatum or australe, as we were very close to their zone when we caught that guy. Another difference is they've made me work for babies. I only have about 10, after a lot of time spent on them. I should be able to get them going with 10, and I'm still working on getting eggs. I like the fish.

Most reactions

Back