Very New To African Cichlids!

markaj04

Reaction score
im looking at getting a couple yellow labs, but dont know what else to get for my new setup (55 gal). i dont want any breeding in the tank so im nervous about what to get. id just like a few COLORful fish! Any help is really appreciated! :good:

An all male ie 1 male of each species tank would suit your needs but be warned they are hard to get right but the finished affect is amazing.

Labs do better in groups but they will breed, you could just leave it to nature and let the mother spit in the tank add a couple of synos and that should eat the rest.

im looking at getting a couple yellow labs, but dont know what else to get for my new setup (55 gal). i dont want any breeding in the tank so im nervous about what to get. id just like a few COLORful fish! Any help is really appreciated! :good:

Yes the only way you'll get no breeding is to go for all male. Check out Ferris's sig for ideas of fish. I believe he has an all male tank with some super fish in it to give you an idea.

Yes the only way you'll get no breeding is to go for all male. Check out Ferris's sig for ideas of fish. I believe he has an all male tank with some super fish in it to give you an idea.

Or all females Cheffi :)

:lol: They are all males except for the Crabro and the Socolofi.

Don't be too harsh on the females Cheffi, many Mbuna females are equally as colourful as the males, which is quite rare with tropical fish. :p

:lol: They are all males except for the Crabro and the Socolofi.

Don't be too harsh on the females Cheffi, many Mbuna females are equally as colourful as the males, which is quite rare with tropical fish. :p

True, but I was working on the lines that he didn't want them breeding so for colour I would go for all male.

How does that work having a couple of single females in with the boys. Will they breed with whatever is in the tank?
:)

How does that work having a couple of single females in with the boys. Will they breed with whatever is in the tank?

Haven't done in the 3 years this tank has been running and they are all adults but it was certainly a risk. The original intention was to have an all male tank but those 2 slipped through the net (pardon the pun) when i got them all as babies. :lol:

Haven't done in the 3 years this tank has been running and they are all adults but it was certainly a risk. The original intention was to have an all male tank but those 2 slipped through the net (pardon the pun) when i got them all as babies. :lol:

:lol: Your fish must be very restrained :lol:

Most reactions

Back