Vallis

Gidge

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Hey all!
First of all, I'm sorry if I have put this topic in the wrong place.

I bought a pot of vallis today from my lfs. I've always wanted to try it out in my tropical tank and considering I get discount there, I decided to take the plunge!

I have sand for my substrate and have submerged the roots into that. I thought of tying the roots to a pebble and sinking it into the sand, but decided against it.

I guess my main question is; how do you trim your Vallis? Or rather, which is the proper way to do it.
Currently it is way taller then my water line. I don't wish to cut it back just yet. But would like to know the proper way of doing it when the time comes. And also, is there anything you can do with the trimmings rather then throwing them out??

Any information and tips would be fantastic!

Oh and also, when I took the plant out of the pot, I noticed it has loads of runners! Pretty stoked about that :D

pretty simple really, just give it a 'hair cut', simply trim the excess you don't want off the top. Some of mine is around 3 foot tall now and 1 foot of that lies across the surface.

before you do that though, consider the effect of the leaves reaching the water line and bending/folding across the water surface. Can be a nice effect!

pretty simple really, just give it a 'hair cut', simply trim the excess you don't want off the top. Some of mine is around 3 foot tall now and 1 foot of that lies across the surface.

before you do that though, consider the effect of the leaves reaching the water line and bending/folding across the water surface. Can be a nice effect!

Thanks for your reply :)

The leaves have well and truly reached the water line and are bending across the surface, it does look beautiful. I think I need to buy a couple more pots. :shifty:

I am seriously considering leaving it, but I thought, I better get some knowledge on how to trim them before I ruin them!
Can you do anything with the trimmings, or are they destined for the bin?

No worries, thanks for all your help :)

Most reactions

Back