UV Sterilizer- Opinions & Experience Needed

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

MuddyWaters

Fishaholic
Reaction score
All, as I read more information about keeping my new aquarium, I came across some compelling information about UV sterilizers. It will kill algae from the water column (not algae already on a surface) and will kill Ich as well. I think it kills some other stuff too, but can't remember exactly. Anyway, it seems to be very beneficial for keeping the water free of algae, bacteria, etc.

Do any of you use UV sterilizers? What is/was your experience? thanks!!

Hi, I do.

325l (86'ish USG) with discus and I chose to go with the UV as a precaution. I use an Eheim Reeflex which is partnered with en Eheim compact pump. Just watch out for the flow rate, as a UV can work in two ways, as a clarifier and/or as a steriliser. The latter needing a significantly slower flow rate (more contact time with the UV).

Does it work? Tricky to tell, but water is very clear (I also use Purigen), and Discus have just spawned, so must be happy!

I'm happy to try and answer any specifics.

I have a small one currently not in use. I used it to try to raise a rainbowfish species that were showing signs of tb. I collected eggs, and raised them from eggs to adulthood in UV sterilized water. It didn't work out.

They can be a useful tool, with no miracles. If you get one, check the bulb life and be sure replacements are available and affordable.

I think it kills some other stuff too, but can't remember exactly.

UV will kill everything exposed to the light. Bacteria viruses, parasites. it can also break down chemicals to smaller molecules. bacteria plants can then consume and destroy.

It is less useful in freshwater. Yes, it will kill "x" but only if all the water goes through the UV. Ich for example I will guarantee can get past this. And no algae will be harmed except green water.

It is less useful in freshwater. Yes, it will kill "x" but only if all the water goes through the UV. Ich for example I will guarantee can get past this. And no algae will be harmed except green water.
The article states that ich is killed as well. Something about "'Reciprocity Rule in Photobiology'.".

The article states that ich is killed as well. Something about "'Reciprocity Rule in Photobiology'.".

This is in my view not accurate. I won't argue, just pointing out that in freshwater a UV is of very limited effect. I would not waste my time, and risk my health.

Here is all the information you could possibly ever want re UV sterilization. It is where I learned and I have a small unit which was bought specifically to sterilize a new tank receiving wild Altum angels.

https://www.americanaquariumproducts.com/sterilization.html
OMG another rabbit hole! yay! :D :eek:😭 I got through the first section, but then ended up clicking on one of the articles he links to-wow- the more I read the more I realize how little I know.

This is in my view not accurate. I won't argue, just pointing out that in freshwater a UV is of very limited effect. I would not waste my time, and risk my health.
UV light cannot penetrate solid objects. So if the bulb is intallled in the filter and you cannot see it.there is no risk to you. And it will not effect the larger fish. Now if you have shrimp and if one gets inside the filter it will kill the shrimp.

Note you cannot see UV-C light which is what the bulb emits. UVC light is stronger than the UVA and UVB light you are exposed to outside on a sunny day. How effective the UV filter is id dependent on the water flow through the filter,and how long the water is exposed to the UV light, and how bright the bulb is.

I used to have a 50-gal outside, and occasionally the water turned so green I could hardly see the fish. Water changes did nothing. So I did try a UV, ran it for about 24- to 48 hrs., then took it out. The water was sparkling within another few days. So yes, it works, and I didn't see any harm done. In 10 years or so I only used it 3 or 4 times.

Thanks, Beling- I'm leaning toward getting one just to help keep stuff out of the water column. I know it won't get anything that's already attached, and honestly, that would be bad anyway. I just don't want to spare anything that can help me with this new tank- I'm all in on this one.

Most reactions

Back