Uv Steriliser / Clarifier

rotty

Reaction score
Hi im new to forum and wud just like tosay how good it is.. Was wondering is anyone using a uv steriliser / clarifier in ther tropical tanks,if so are they worth while..

I would say not worth it: you will be making your water "too pure" so your fish would be more susceptible to diseases. If there are problems with water clarity, then there is an underlying problem which should be solved.

Moderators, please delete: double post!

Active topic here: http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?/topic/346983-uv-steriliser-clarifier/

I would say not worth it: you will be making your water "too pure" so your fish would be more susceptible to diseases. If there are problems with water clarity, then there is an underlying problem which should be solved.
HI KITTY KAT, was reading up on some uv filters an the sellers wer stating how good they wer for alge an keeping your water crystal clear an at a costly price too.

HI KITTY KAT, was reading up on some uv filters an the sellers wer stating how good they wer for alge an keeping your water crystal clear an at a costly price too.
Well, a seller would want to sell them to you, wouldn't they now? ;) Algae is a sign of something being wrong in the tank.. you could just be removing the symptoms, not the cause, with a steriliser and the cause could still be harming the fish.

Hi rotty and welcome,
regarding uv's, when my new 3 month old tank developed the dreaded algae bloom, nothing would shift it, tried blackouts, nothing, did not want to use chemicals so bought a small uv filter/light only £20, my water was like pea soup, you could'nt see fish unless they came right up to glass, within 4 days my water was crystel clear, best purchase ever, and no chemicals !!!!,

I pop it in every month or so for a couple of day's, I did a lot of research first, and while it does kill good and bad bugs, as your good media mainly lives in your filter and is reproducing all the time it does no damage, Anyway at £20 it's well worth it, I would have spent more than that on chemicals.

Hi rotty and welcome,
regarding uv's, when my new 3 month old tank developed the dreaded algae bloom, nothing would shift it, tried blackouts, nothing, did not want to use chemicals so bought a small uv filter/light only £20, my water was like pea soup, you could'nt see fish unless they came right up to glass, within 4 days my water was crystel clear, best purchase ever, and no chemicals !!!!,

I pop it in every month or so for a couple of day's, I did a lot of research first, and while it does kill good and bad bugs, as your good media mainly lives in your filter and is reproducing all the time it does no damage, Anyway at £20 it's well worth it, I would have spent more than that on chemicals.

they do treat algae blooms, but there is no need to keep using one. algae is down to excess light (and nothing else), clear it up, change your light regime and pull the thing out. it does no good, leaving it on. well it makes electrical/bulb company's money, but is no benefit to your fish.

nice bit of kit. but, defiantly, not something tropical tanks need!

Most reactions

Back