Uv Ster

Looks good, but the price will probably go up some more before the auction ends... also, you should probably check to make sure he ships to canada.

I have a kinda stupid question about UV Sterilizers.... if you or anybody can answer.... Can you use them stand alone... or do you HAVE to hook it up to a filter or something to push the water through... (did that make sense?)

To the best of my knowledge, you have to filter the water through them.

its also worth noting that it is a pond UV unit - they are designed for higher flow rates. the 'tube' the water passes through is bigger then aquarium units as such the particals that are ment to be getting zapped dont always pass as close to the UV source - meaning they live to fight another day.

In a pond its ok as the higher flow rate means it'll get another dose quite soon.

you can get stand alone units but they are big bulky things that take up a large part of your tank,

So... you need a cannister filter to run one?

hey those things are common here, cost somwhere near 30-40 dollars if converted to dollars :) You can use a powerhead to push the water thru ir or better yet a canister hehehe

Hi,

Im using a 9W internal UV steriliser (with powerhead) = UV Steriliser = The link show a fairly good pic of the unit. It is attached to the inside of the tank using suckers on the back of the powerhead unit.
Had it running for about 3 weeks now and seems to be going well .... water looks crystal clear.

I bought mine in the UK here = Lifeforceonline = I'm sure there are better UV units out there ... but for the money I have no complaints !

I'm sure they must be available in Canada/US

OK, I don't know much about UV's but considering one. How exactly are the inline ones set up ? (pipework etc.)

One end of the UV steriliser connects to the input pipe of your canister filter, the other end of the UV steriliser attaches to the output pipe of your canister filter.

I bought one to get rid of green water a few months back, which it worked wonders for. I decided to keep it hooked up on a timer with my lights. Not really sure what difference its making to my tank at the moment to be honest.

Paul

Thanks :) Do you think it's relatively easy to hook it up to an Eheim external fitler ? And does it have any effect on the flowrate (in terms for reducing it ?)

Yeah its fairly easy to hook up. I've got mine attached an eheim pro external canister. The hoses can become slightly bent, which must slow the flow rate down to some extent.

The steriliser i have is a TMC Vecton 8w steriliser, but i think they have a new model out which makes the connection between the filter even easier.

Like i said though, it was great for getting rid of green water, but im not sure what its doing for my tank at the moment, other than making the water disease free.

Paul

Attachments

• CIMG2814.JPG
    CIMG2814.JPG
    44.7 KB · Views: 45
Fabulous - exactly what I needed to see. Thanks so much paulioo :thumbs:

Most reactions

Back