Usually Know Male From Female But...

Brightestdai

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I'm usually good at sexing Gourami's but this one I bought as a female and now it looks male. Any guesses?

BD1AEC3B-68E3-433F-B583-BC28391CABD8-2322-0000031DD240DDB3_zpse8487b1f.jpg

BD1AEC3B-68E3-433F-B583-BC28391CABD8-2322-0000031DD240DDB3_zpse8487b1f.jpg

9FC7F380-C3D8-4E1A-B869-CF79FE851B02-2322-0000031DC2F9F652_zps3f16d5ee.jpg

Sorry for blurry pics, it won't stay still lol

I'm not an expert but found this:

Males are usually a bit smaller than the female, and are slimmer in overall girth. Females have a rounded belly compared to the males. However, the dorsal (top) fin is the most distinctive difference that can be seen between males and females. The dorsal fin of the female is short and rounded, while the male has a longer dorsal that comes to a point.

i'd say she's still a female. It's easier to sex in real life but from the picture the dorsal isn't very long, or pointed.

Looks girly to me.
How long have you had her?
Judging by her size the dorsal fin should be longer amd more pointed if male.

I've had her for about 2-3 months, when I got her she was pretty beaten up. Now that she's better she acts like my male, semi chasing my females. Hangs out with the male and has no interest in schooling with the females

Even the females are not docile. I had three females and two ended up bullied to death by the third.
But I have learened a lot since then. She would also bully cories away from any food on the bottom.
I guess it's best to see if she/he chunks up.

Looks pretty young to me. It may be too early to tell, but I'm more likely leaning to male in the long run. When they're stressed they wont produce as many sex hormones and will take longer to show their true nature.

I'm leaning towards the female end only by from what I can make out from the shape of her dorsal fin. I have a pair of opalines in my tank aroun the 3-4 months mark and I purposely picked only females and in the last week one of them has now turned into a he as his dorsal has grown and gone pointed where as when I bought them they both had rounded dorsals.

I even checked looking through the clear bag before. It was put into a darker secon bag before I left the store to make sure.

It's no issue though as if I'm lucky they might breed as I've moved away from live bearers

I'm no expert but from what I've read up on gourami's to me in the pic it's a she

I would lean towards female also but the fish may be too young to tell.  If it was a male the dorsal would come to a very distinct point a be long enough to pass where the base of the tail, where it begins on the body.

Oh, and her behavior suggests she's the dominant female, which would also explain her intense coloration.  Sounds like she's picked the male for herself........... 

The intense coloring is to threaten other fish. Usually when they're very pale is when they're stressed out.

DreamertK said:
The intense coloring is to threaten other fish. Usually when they're very pale is when they're stressed out.

Spot on!  My Opaline colors up best during water changes when the tank real estate is at a premium since the water level is lower.  It's her way of telling the other fish to stay away from her chosen spot.

Most reactions

Back