Using Water From You Refrigerator With Filter

Dalejr_802

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
i have a refrigerator that has a filter for its water do you think i can use this insted of buying an RO system.... i cant see whats inside the filter but the filter is shapped like one of those media used for RO system ima holla at ya if i got more info about the filter and the brand of my refrigeratos is kenmore

Whats the model of the fridge so we can research/read about it? Well, I looked at the kenmore refrigeration page on their own website, and I cant see any model with a built in RO system. DOH! Got a model number Dale Jr?

I am no expert on RO and the associated systems, but my gut feeling when I read this post was that the filter inside would be more like a 'Britta' Water filter than an RO water filter.

Stop me if I am wrong, but from my memory and RO filter has a filter so fine that the water needs to be pressurized to move through it (i.e it is effectively pumped). Whereas your standard tap water filter relies on gravity to force the water through the filters and particles it has.

I am no expert on RO and the associated systems, but my gut feeling when I read this post was that the filter inside would be more like a 'Britta' Water filter than an RO water filter.

Stop me if I am wrong, but from my memory and RO filter has a filter so fine that the water needs to be pressurized to move through it (i.e it is effectively pumped). Whereas your standard tap water filter relies on gravity to force the water through the filters and particles it has.

Yeah thats pretty much correct. A good rule of thumb, if the fridge is less than $2000 it will have just a standard carbon brita-type filters. Even if its more expensive than that, it probably still has a carbon filter. Carbon filtration removes chemicals like chlorine, flourine, and sulfur to make the water taste much better... It does not remove heavy metals like copper, nor does it remove silicates or phosphates. Using carbon filtration on tapwater is USUALLY inadequate for marine systems (there are always exceptions to the rule, but they are few and far between).

RO filtration does require significant pressure to operate, but this is usually achieved through using straight tapwater (usually 30-100PSI). 99% of the time a booster pump is not required for operating an RO unit.

I have seen that one around a lot and have two problems with it. First, it doesnt remove copper or heavy metals, just organics. If you're going fish only, copper is OK, but if you ever want to have inverts or corals, copper = bad. It can infect your seals longterm and make the tank permanantly a no-coral environment.

Second, that unit treats on average 100 gallons of water for $35 before the filter gets used up and needs replacing. In contrast, my $80 RO unit has allready made me probably close to 400 gallons of water and I haven't replaced a single piece to it yet. Furthermore, it made tons of water for someone else before I even owned it. WAY more cost-effective. Head over to Ebay and grab one or better yet, purchase one used like I did, it really is a good investment.

I have seen that one around a lot and have two problems with it. First, it doesnt remove copper or heavy metals, just organics. If you're going fish only, copper is OK, but if you ever want to have inverts or corals, copper = bad. It can infect your seals longterm and make the tank permanantly a no-coral environment.

Second, that unit treats on average 100 gallons of water for $35 before the filter gets used up and needs replacing. In contrast, my $80 RO unit has allready made me probably close to 400 gallons of water and I haven't replaced a single piece to it yet. Furthermore, it made tons of water for someone else before I even owned it. WAY more cost-effective. Head over to Ebay and grab one or better yet, purchase one used like I did, it really is a good investment.

where did you get ur $80 RO system.......well is it safe to use tap water for now because i only have fish and some live rocks and i will probobly get some invertbray and corals nexst year................by the way when is the best time to add corals and inveribray i just set up my tank about 5 days ago

Most reactions

Back