Using Sand As Substrate

wetdog

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
evenin all,
i am going to be changing from gravel to sand shortly, play sand alreasdy purchased from argos, and was told that i need something under the sand in order to help with gas escapes as the sand can clump and stop any escaping gases.

any help folks?

mick :good:

Unless you're planning on growing plants that are root feeders? ... I have no idea what you mean by something under the sand :blink:

Just wash it well and pile it in :good:

stir the sand a bit to release any gas build up. i stir mine once a week when i do a water change.

Unless you're planning on growing plants that are root feeders? ... I have no idea what you mean by something under the sand :blink:

was advised to put a clay based cat litter under it.
at the moment i cannot say whether or not i would be planting rooted plants.

mick.

the sand will just need stiring up every now and then to release any trapped gases etc. give the sand a vacuum before to prevent any poop or nasties getting trapped when you stir it.

you can also use malaysian trumpet snails that will dig into the sand and help turn it over, they will also eat any scraps of food but if given too much they do multiply..........

The gas doesn't need releasing, it's fine as it is, the anaerobic bacteria that live there can remove nitrate by converting it to nitrogen.

The gas doesn't need releasing, it's fine as it is, the anaerobic bacteria that live there can remove nitrate by converting it to nitrogen.

thank you for the replys guys :good:

i have one adult trumpet snail and a few very young ones that i think may be in the filter :blink:

so i'll just pile it in then.

mick.

as Truck says don't bother. If ya gonna put cat litter under the sand then stirring it will just give you a massive cloudy tank.

was advised to put a clay based cat litter under it.
at the moment i cannot say whether or not i would be planting rooted plants.

mick.

If there's a chance you might be adding root feeders I'd put the kitty litter under the sand ready ... much easier now than later :fun:

Most reactions

Back