Using Motor Part Of Fluval Filter As A Diffuser - Where`s That Thread?

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

elisew

I don`t count sheep to get to sleep, I count fish
Reaction score
Well after breaking my glass diffuser and having to go back to using the pathetic JBL diffuser, I remember reading someone thread about using the motor part of a fluval filter as a diffuser........but I can`t find the thread now :/

Can anyone please point me in the right direction to the thread or give me some info on how exactly the filter part can be hooked up to produce tiny bubbles of co2? :unsure:

Depending on the model, some have a small opening actually on the top of the ouput where you can connect the CO2.
This is usually used for adding extra O2 to the tank as you leave this part above the water surface usually.

Or if you can find a way to get it so the filter is actually sucking up the bubbles, then as it passes through the media and motor it will be diffused into smaller bubbles.

Thanks, Aaron

the thing is with using the fluvals a diffuser is that you have to connect the C02 tubing to the top of the venturi, and you end up with big bubbles which you loose to quickly. If you don't have a diffuser, why not just use an airstone til you get another glass one.

Thanks B-)

I was wondering if there was some way of the bubbles being chopped into much smaller ones as they seem to disperse better that way, I`ll have to investigate it a bit further I think.

I do have the plastic JBL diffuser but it just seems to let big bubbles go and I`m not sure it`s actually benefitting the plants very much. The diffuser is sat about 3 quarters of the way down the tank, the bubble 'plops' when it hits the surface and is then gone.
I don`t know what to do about another glass diffuser as the tubing kept slipping off the one I`ve just broken, it did diffuse really well but I even tried using a bit of silicone to keep the tubing in place but it still kept coming off :S

I never thought about using an airstone to be honest, I guess it does do the same job huh? :unsure:

An airstone isn't a permanent solution, the bubbles will still be too large.

Try heating the tubing in hot water so you can push it really far down the glass and it will tighten then.

Thanks, Aaron

Most reactions

Back