Using Eggcrate In My Tank

mark34

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
hi I am thinking about installing eggcrate in my tank as my malawis are digging the sand out under my rocks and am getting a little worryed about if the rocks slip down when thay move the sand from under them

but the thing is would i have to remove all the fish and sand to install the eggcrate ?

I was thinking you had to

1.remove all rocks
2.remove all sand
3.remove all water

Then coving the bottomed of tank in eggcrate then install the rocks (stacking them up)
Then put the sand in to cove the eggcrate

am I right in this ? I have about 75kg of ocean rock in the tank and my tank is 5.3ft x 19inch x 2.3ft so as you can see I am worried about the rock felling down with them moving the sand about i have removed all the pebbles !

they have already moved a hell of a lot of sand all ready from under the rocks in the middle of my tank !!!

Although it's a right pain to empty the tank, I personally would recommend to anyone that they should have egg crate at the base of their tank if they have rocks/slate. One day of sorting the tank can save a pile of misery IF any of the rocks do move/slip, I wasn't prepared to take the risk myself :unsure:

As egg crate can be pretty expensive I bought some square plastic drain covers from B&Q, worked out a hell of a lot cheaper. If you scroll to the 12th or 13th post on the page at the following link you'll see what it was I used in my Tang tank, I then used the same when I set up my Malawi tank.

http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?/topic/345161-thinking-of-changing-from-tropical-community-to-mbuna-or-tanganyikan/page__st__140

I am going to give the B&Q drain covers a miss as I would need so much of them about 23 of them so at £2.99 each comes out about £68.00 going B&Q way

Saw these on ebay http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190535708687&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT#ht_1252wt_1139 £16.00 for 5 sheets

Need a wash but hay at that price don't mind how much cleaning them lol

just not looking forward to striping my tank to fit them but think its a HELL of a lot better than mopping up 500ltrs of water :look:

Good price and it`ll do the job :good:

It`s definately easier to strip and sort the tank than cleaning up that much water :hyper: :lol:

Hi, I have egg crate in my Roma240, I had been advised against it by a few folk, main reason was build of bad bacteria and gasses getting trapped in the sand under the rocks and in the sections of egg crate . . . .
Anyways I went ahead anyway , just kept the sand shallow and give it a good vacuum/stir up during water changes . . .
Was going to ask, do you put the sand in then the rocks or rocks onto the egg crate then add the sand round about, just asking because I'm going add some when the new tank arrives :unsure:
Cheers, Sean

Hi, I have egg crate in my Roma240, I had been advised against it by a few folk, main reason was build of bad bacteria and gasses getting trapped in the sand under the rocks and in the sections of egg crate . . . .
Anyways I went ahead anyway , just kept the sand shallow and give it a good vacuum/stir up during water changes . . .
Was going to ask, do you put the sand in then the rocks or rocks onto the egg crate then add the sand round about, just asking because I'm going add some when the new tank arrives :unsure:
Cheers, Sean

I`ve never heard of the bad bacteria/gasses building. Seems silly to me to be honest as it`s basically the same as when you have rocks sitting directly on the bottom of the tank, I just think using eggcrate is safer but that`s just my thoughts :unsure:

I put the sand on top of the eggcrate then sat the rocks on the top of the sand, I moved the rocks a bit until they 'sit' in the right place in the sand but I haven`t had any bother at all in either of my big tanks :good:

good price but harmful gases will build up as the sand compacts into the egg crate :good:
i understand the theroy in protecting the base from the rocks if they fall but if you place the rock on the glass then the sand the fish wont disturb them :good:

Will be striping my tank when the eggcrate get here as they have moved so much sand under the rocks in the middle of my tank rocks are starting to sack so the sooner the better the crate gets here the better :unsure:

and going fish shopping soon this weekend so cant wait :hyper:

got 6 Blue Dolphin cichlids on order there only 5-6cm at min

need to find some Aulonocara Fire Fish hard to find :grr:

Will be striping my tank when the eggcrate get here as they have moved so much sand under the rocks in the middle of my tank rocks are starting to sack so the sooner the better the crate gets here the better :unsure:

and going fish shopping soon this weekend so cant wait :hyper:

got 6 Blue Dolphin cichlids on order there only 5-6cm at min

need to find some Aulonocara Fire Fish hard to find :grr:

Have you tried the guy I get my fish from? http://www.tonysafricancichlids.co.uk/page2.html

Firefish:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UYt2YHV3uDY

lol Lisa on commission she is just a great help on here :rolleyes:
There great going to ask in MD as well to see if they have any ? :fun:

tip for getting sand out of your tank use a dustpan

I hope you're going to post some nice pics. for us all once your new tank is all done :good:

Most reactions

Back