URGENT HELP NEEDED!!!! Dropsy what should I do!?!?

Fishnewb21

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I need help urgently!!! My partner was left in charge of my tanks for a couple days while I was working. He put too many large tablets of food for bottom feeding fish in both my tanks which I only have one species of bottom feeders in one tank, my Kuhli loaches. Well this morning I’ve checked my tanks after returning from work early hours of this morning and one tank was thick with white fuzzy mould all over the bottom and on the plants but 6 of my fish have died, and the other had clumps of mould everywhere and some of the fish have white spot. I’ve done 75% water changes in both tanks and thoroughly cleaned everything in the tanks and removed some of my live plants. I’ve gone and bought new live plants and planted them today and started treatment for white spot.. but tonight I’ve noticed at least one of my female guppies has a serious case of dropsy. Please help me I don’t no what to do from here to save the rest of my fish from dying! I’m so upset and lost. I’ve spent months getting my tanks happy and healthy and now with one mistake my partners managed to destroy all my hard work and care. Please someone help me 😭💔

Attachments

• ACEEB5B1-931E-490C-8A2A-76BFBDEB9C3F.jpeg
    ACEEB5B1-931E-490C-8A2A-76BFBDEB9C3F.jpeg
    153.3 KB · Views: 42
  • 3968284A-FB1A-4EF1-B8A4-28839A99C7C1.jpeg
    3968284A-FB1A-4EF1-B8A4-28839A99C7C1.jpeg
    230.7 KB · Views: 34
  • B6DA937F-0C09-4F36-8CD6-8B9B50E220CB.jpeg
    B6DA937F-0C09-4F36-8CD6-8B9B50E220CB.jpeg
    157.3 KB · Views: 37
Last edited:
If they have dropsy, that is usually terminal unfortunately. How long has the tank been set up? Is it cycled?
Do you have a test kit or strips? If you do, what are the readings for Ammonia, Nitrite and nitrates.
Also if they have white spots they may well have ich. Ich can be treated by gradually raising the water temp to 86 degrees. Leave it at that temperature for 2 weeks. Vacuum the substrate after five to 7 days.
If ammonia or nitrites are above 0, you will need to do 50-70 percent water changes daily until the levels are near 0.

Yeah they have ich I’ve started treatment and water is at 26 degrees Celsius. Will dropsy spreads to my other fish? What should I do with the affected fish? I’m going to do a water test with my master test kit now

Seeing that dropsy is terminal, many here recommend putting the fish out of its misery by euthanizing (clove oil) or using other means to do it . I'm not sure if it spreads...I don't believe it does...others might pipe in here soon.

dropsy is only a symptom of a problem
dropsy doesn't spread, but its cause might be able to

Most reactions

Back