URGENT : extending aquarium table

Novafish

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

My 72 gallon tank sprung a leak over the weekend. I managed to rescue, and relocate my fancy goldfish thankfully. However, the tank is toast. Making things worse, it seems that the leak had been very slowly trickling into the wood of the table, which has caused it to bow slightly.

So I'm looking for an urgent replacement tank. I've been offered one which is about 8 inches longer than my previous tank, and its stand. So, I'm thinking that I could get another thick board (about an inch) and stick it over the top of the old one. Would this be solid enough?

Thanks for your opinions,

What are the tank dimensions (length x width x height)?
How thick is the glass?

What is the current stand made of (pine, another timber or MDF/ particle board)?
If it's made from decent timber (not MDF or particle board) then it's probably ok to use once it's dry. However, MDF and particle board tend to break down once they get wet and then they become unsafe.

If you are able to sleep well with 600 pounds of water in a glass container on a sketchy stand.

Joke aside, if you take high quality Cabinet or Marine grade Hardwood plywood (not flooring ply) and frame the overlapping extensions with 2x2 held by glue and screws. that can be good.

If the table finished by damaging the old tank. I would make sure it can't happen again. Even if it means changing the stand completely.

If it's made from particle board... Like Colin said, they disintegrate slowly to the point of rupture. I always assume that it is impossible that no water will ever come in contact with the stand, No matter how careful you are.

And personally banned anything that is not made from solid wood or steel a long time ago.

Most reactions

Back