Upside Down Catfish

jcabs100

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Well I put this in the catfish thread so....I have a 55 gallon fish tank my stock is:

3 opaline gourami
3 Bolivian ram
20 neon tetra
4 mollys
3 emerald corys ( getting 5 more )

Basically I wanted to know how these fish are...can I keep them and how many

Are you talking about Synodontis nigriventris??

If you are then Yeah they should be ok with the fish above, although they are like rams and do prefer slightly acidic water. Best kept in schools, so for your tank 4 to 6 should be fine i think :good:

Yes im talking about the non aggressive one that are similar to corydoras

If you are then Yeah they should be ok with the fish above, although they are like rams and do prefer slightly acidic water. Best kept in schools, so for your tank 4 to 6 should be fine i think :good:

Where have you plucked that gem from? Synodontis nigriventris have been found in the wild at a pH as high as 8.4, they are very adaptable fish in terms of water chemistry and tankmates.

I have 3 in a 55, they seem happy and all hide together. Be warned though you'll almost never see them lol

yes very shy fish. My dad had some for years, the older they got the less you see them, unless you have about 10 of them.

Where have you plucked that gem from? Synodontis nigriventris have been found in the wild at a pH as high as 8.4, they are very adaptable fish in terms of water chemistry and tankmates.

Never kept them, only heard they prefer acid water. Although all the other syno's from lake tang and malawi etc.. All prefer the hard alkaline water so i don't know. Seem's strange the one species prefer acidic water.

Nigriventis (true upside down catfish) are a riverine species rather than a rift lake species, (same as synos such as angelicus or decorus) so have more neutral water conditions compared to the really hard alkaline water of the lakes.

Most reactions

Back