Upside down catfish not eating

Tyler777

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I have 5 upside down catfish thar aren't eating for some reason.
I gave em briene shrimp, some other kind of shrimp, dried shrimp, bottom feeders pellets, algae wafflers I even gave em flakes n zucchini but they're not eating . The water parameters are fine and they're in a planted tank with seaweed, duckweed n some other species there are not other kind of fish with them and they have 3 different ornaments like trees, caves n rocks with holes to give em some place to hide n relax but still don't eat.

I have kept them and learned they are very sensitive to nitrates. You indicated the water parameters are fine but double check for nitrates. They are mostly dusk and dawn feeders and most likely are foraging when the lights are out. Don't over feed and make sure the water's surface isn't too covered by the duckweed. Personally, I would not keep any floating plants with these fish since they primarily skim the surface for food. You mentioned other species in the tank. What are they? Tonight, when lights are out, take some floating food (small amount) and drop it in the tank. Stand back and be very still for several minutes and they should feed. Let us know how it goes. I will share more information about them if you would like.

I have kept them and learned they are very sensitive to nitrates. You indicated the water parameters are fine but double check for nitrates. They are mostly dusk and dawn feeders and most likely are foraging when the lights are out. Don't over feed and make sure the water's surface isn't too covered by the duckweed. Personally, I would not keep any floating plants with these fish since they primarily skim the surface for food. You mentioned other species in the tank. What are they? Tonight, when lights are out, take some floating food (small amount) and drop it in the tank. Stand back and be very still for several minutes and they should feed. Let us know how it goes. I will share more information about them if you would like.
No I don't have any other species of fish it's just them. 5 of them with one 4 inches one 3 inches and the other 3 are around 2 inches long.
When you said " floating food " u mean " flakes " ?

No I don't have any other species of fish it's just them. 5 of them with one 4 inches one 3 inches and the other 3 are around 2 inches long.
When you said " floating food " u mean " flakes " ?
No, they will sink too fast. This food is excellent:
I also fed them very small meal worms with the heads removed. They will attack meal worms. Place them on some sort of ledge near the water's surface. But the Hakari floating food is superb too. My Upside Down's loved it. By the way, your cats will live a long time so be prepared. How large is your tank?

They are nocturnal so don't bother feeding them during the day. Wait until lights out and then offer some food.

Most reactions

Back