Upside Down Catfish - Dorsal Fin major damage

Jmorrisuk

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

Need some advice ASAP,

We have just got back from holiday (10 days) and our upside down catfish has got some serious dorsal fin damage to it, to the point you can see the cartalige.

I've done about a 40% + water change and waiting for some Fin Rot antibiotic treatment to arrive today hopefully. She's still swimming around fine and eating but I've noticed the rummy nose are starting to pick at the damaged fin which isn't helping. I've noticed a slight loss of colour around the fin aswell but guessing that could be due to the infection if that's what is causing it.
20220921_180832.jpg

All the other fish are fine, 2 black widow tetras, 6 Rummy nose and a pleco. (250L tank)

I did a water check yesterday and even before the change the water was OK and the temp hasn't changed.

Any advice or is it just add the treatment and hope for the best.

So firstly I would add aquarium salt to the tank that should heal any damage. the salt will kill of any plants but it is the best thing to use. I would guess that the fish damage it on a sharp peace of wood or rock. Just check the wood and rocks for sharp edges if you find any either break it off or add a piece of java fern or something after the treatment. With the black willows they are a schooling fish and need 9 or more in a school. They will also eat the other tetras when they are big enough so I suggest removing the rummy nose soon.

Do you have another tank that can be used as a hospital tank to isolate the catfish? I'm concerned that the other fish are picking at it, it won't heal up while that's happening. If you don't have a spare tank, you can use a food grade plastic tote as a temporary QT Tank. Add a sponge filter and a heater (inside a filter guard) that can rest on some rocks, use some decor/plants to help the catfish feel it can hide and not stress it too much, and use that tote as an emergency QT tank. Inexpensive and can be stored away easily when not in use. Also cheaper for any meds to use a tote that holds 30-40g than it is to treat the main tank.

I'd also go for salt treatment, and getting a plastic tote set up as QT to treat him where the other fish can't pick at him - it's very possible that he had slight damage from some small injury, and the other fish picking at it has made it a lot worse.
Since you're also in the UK - There aren't many products here we can get that actually have antibiotics in them, and I don't have much faith in the King British or Interpet fin rot products, if that's what you went with?

I have used eSHa 2000 to treat minor issues successfully, but because it's anti-bacterial (although I don't think it contains an actual antibiotic) it does have an impact on filter bacteria too, so I saw a mini cycle play out in the tank I used it in, and had to be aware of that and do water changes while the filter bacteria colonies grew back to size. Just to make you aware of that if you do decide to use it. :)

Poor fish, that does look super painful :( I'm sorry you just came home from a holiday to find it! Not great to have a stressful situation like this as soon as you get home!

Salt and big (75%) daily water changes and gravel cleans should treat it. Clean the filter too if it hasn't been done in the last 2 weeks. And wipe the inside of the glass down.
Make sure any new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it's added to the tank.

Leave the fish where it is and add salt to the tank. Every time you chase, catch and handle the fish, you risk doing more damage to it.

------------------
SALT
You can add rock salt (often sold as aquarium salt) or swimming pool salt to the aquarium at the dose rate of 1 heaped tablespoon per 20 litres of water. If there is no improvement after 48 hours you can double that dose rate so there is 2 heaped tablespoons of salt per 20 litres.

Keep the salt level like this for at least 2 weeks but no longer than 4 weeks otherwise kidney damage can occur. Kidney damage is more likely to occur in fish from soft water (tetras, Corydoras, angelfish, Bettas & gouramis, loaches) that are exposed to high levels of salt for an extended period of time, and is not an issue with livebearers, rainbowfish or other salt tolerant species.

The salt will not affect the beneficial filter bacteria, fish, plants, shrimp or snails.

After you use salt and the fish have recovered, you do a 10% water change each day for a week using only fresh water that has been dechlorinated. Then do a 20% water change each day for a week. Then you can do bigger water changes after that. This dilutes the salt out of the tank slowly so it doesn't harm the fish.

If you do water changes while using salt, you need to treat the new water with salt before adding it to the tank. This will keep the salt level stable in the tank and minimise stress on the fish.

When you first add salt, add the salt to a small bucket of tank water and dissolve the salt. Then slowly pour the salt water into the tank near the filter outlet. Add the salt over a couple of minutes.

Most reactions

Back