Upgrading Oscars

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Ronananator

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
my brother has two albino oscars in a 60 ltr tank ( yes i know way to overstocked ) but i have bought them off him and have set up a 120 litre tank ( yes i know still to small ) but i just want to give them a bigger home untill they are big enuf to meet my oscar in my 450 litre they are about 2 inchs-3 inchs i was woundering can i just put his 50w heater and eheim filter into the 120 tank without difficulties it is like 1 year old bacteria off my 450 lite tank aswell just woundering thanks

Hi a 50W heater isnt enough for 120L you would need 100W minimum.
Also not sure what you mean by one year old bacteria, if it is in your main tank now and isnt out of the filter for too long then you should be ok :good:

Dangerous.
50 watts is nowhere near enough, and will be on, heating 24hours until it inevitably smashes, causing some damage!

ok thank you but lets say i get a 200w heater do you think the filter will be fine ? for a while? they are in horrible conditions in the 56lt and i just want them out of there now :/

A bigger tank usually means a better filter. Bigger is always better, but i would try and rehome them with someone who can cater for them better personally.

well i do for a 250l that i can put them into once they are big enuf cause as of now the oscar will have them gone in secounds :(

personally id give the oscars away to someone who can home them for life. 450litre is not big enough for a couple of oscars

I think 3 Oscars (especially introducing two to an established single O) is asking for big trouble. A 450 litre tank is not big enough for 3 Oscars either.

I appreciate you want to get them out of the 60L, that's great, but very soon these fish will need a 75g tank each.

You need to upgrade your heater to match the water volume. As has been said, 50w is not enough and would be on all the time. You're better off getting a higher rated heater and it being on as and when it needs it (not very often to maintain temp).

Most reactions

Back