Upgraded External Filter For My Juwel Rekord 60

spooks

Reaction score
Hi all,

Quick question, I recently bought a Fluval 305 filter off ebay (brand new) so I could remove the internal filter from my juwel rekord 60 (56 litre). When I recieved the filter I had some what of a shock as it was a LOT bigger than I expected. The filter shoves 1000 litres per hour through it system which means it is turning over my 56 litre tank every 3 minutes. :hyper:

I had to modify the intake pipe so it would fit properly in my tank (I guess if I changed tank I would have to get a new pipe for it). My question is even though this is two fold actually.

1) Even though this filter is complete overkill for my small tank, will it be ok? Can you actually over filter a tank?
2) I have taken my sponge filters from my old filter and cut them to shape to replace the existing foam filters in the fluval. Will this be ok? The courseness of the filters looks the same but the Juwel filters are two different colours (Blue and Green) where as the Fluval ones are white.

Also the current coming out of the exit pipe is pretty strong too, is this ok? It doesn't disturb the water flow too much but I haven't added plants yet so I can't be sure.

Cheers,

Spooks

Hi you cant really over filter a tank. What you have done with the nedia sounds fine
If you aimed the spray bar so that it sprays on to the back "wall" of the tank it might help calm things doiwn a bit!!

Or you could look for fish that like to surf!!! :lol:

Yeh, good idea I will definately point the spray bar at the back of the tank. Anyone else got any thoughts on this?

Most reactions

Back