Updating My Community Tank

RustedKnight

Fish Addict
Reaction score
So after demolishing the tank to catch a couple of annoying fishies, I figured I'd post some visual updates for my tank;

My fish are all getting along well, only Aggro (the agassizi cichlid) being a pain and claiming dominance over half the tank, he may need to go to a new home. Hopefully my community shots should show how happy these guys are.

Notes: Yes, Aggro's tail has been chewed, he came this way, it's currently healing nicely.
And yes, one poor baby panda only has half a tail, this was done by "hopeless" the guppy, who was instantly rehomed.

The tank was restyled very similar to how it was before, but with some minor alterations.

IMG_5505-1.jpg

IMG_5506-1.jpg

(with and without flash, to show the differences... my glass looks filthy, but it appears clean normally :S)

-=-=-=-

Some feesh; This should show off my random community quite nicely. Also need an ID on the 2 corydora that I currently presume to be "trilineatus"

First, my new Apisto cacatouides.. They are supposed to be super red, which they're not, but they're sodding gorgeous fish anywhoo;

IMG_5498.jpg

IMG_5461.jpg

IMG_5510.jpg

IMG_5509.jpg

IMG_5504.jpg

IMG_5501.jpg

IMG_5500.jpg

IMG_5499.jpg

IMG_5497.jpg

IMG_5496.jpg

IMG_5495.jpg

IMG_5475.jpg

IMG_5464.jpg

Sidley has turned out to be quite the poser, he likes hanging around the front of the tank, and sometimes displays for the camera. Lovely fish, bit of a wimp, but lovely.

Girly (yet to be named, help?) is constantly turning several shades of yellow, I think she is suffering mood swings :lol: but i've heard the yellowing is a hint at breeding.

-=-=-=-=-

Some random community shots, showing Aggro (the angry agassizi), my baby panda's, my peppered cory's, my "trilineatus" cory's, and my bumblebee's :wub:
IMG_5463.jpg

IMG_5459.jpg

IMG_5458.jpg

IMG_5479.jpg

IMG_5516.jpg

IMG_5493.jpg

IMG_5489.jpg

IMG_5480.jpg

IMG_5477.jpg

IMG_5476.jpg

Let me know what you guys think, I'm enjoying the setup, and loving my fish of course.

looks great but just be carefull having dwarf cichlids and corys in the tank as its been known for the teritorial cichlids to do some real harm to corys even removing eyes when protecting their space :crazy:

looks great but just be carefull having dwarf cichlids and corys in the tank as its been known for the teritorial cichlids to do some real harm to corys even removing eyes when protecting their space :crazy:

Thanks, yeah i was told and had read online that these cichlids would be perfect tank mates for the cory's.. But watching the agassizi he's a bit too territorial for my liking. The cacatouides are happy spending time with the cory's, and the male shares his cave with them every night, all cuddled up together.

May need to find another home for the agassizi.

Looks gorgeous :good: Your fish all have gorgeous colourings :D Those bumble bee gobies are just beautiful ^^

I second what Mattlee said about the corys though- I had to remove all my corys to a different tank after my Laetacara chewed all their barbels off D: I even saw the big male actively stalking the corys >.<

Looks gorgeous :good: Your fish all have gorgeous colourings :D Those bumble bee gobies are just beautiful ^^

I second what Mattlee said about the corys though- I had to remove all my corys to a different tank after my Laetacara chewed all their barbels off D: I even saw the big male actively stalking the corys >.<

Thanks, yeah the male cockatoo does have fantastic markings, if he breeds and the offspring look just as good I may be able to sell them on, there doesn't appear to be a yellow colour strain bar the normal wild ones, so a good colourful yellow male with some nice black markings may fetch a decent price. Maybe be able to name a new colour strain if I get lucky.

The agassizi is a gorgeous fish, so don't really want to see him go, but he is overly territorial. But he's only really chased off the cory's for now, but I am keeping an eye on him and not liking the behaviour.

Oddly enough, both species of apisto completely overlook the bumblebee's, they're allowed to hover around anywhere they like.

Bit of useless info but when you have 2 or more females brooding, they are known to 'kidnap' eachother's fry and place it in their 'cave' :lol: :lol:

Nice tank but I will say that you may need more plants or something to cover up some of the bottom of the tank. They like to swim inbetween roots i.e. bogwood with panted anubuis. I have giant vallis that they like to swim inbetween the roots. You will find that the male may head up to the mid level of the tank at times too.

Bit of useless info but when you have 2 or more females brooding, they are known to 'kidnap' eachother's fry and place it in their 'cave' :lol: :lol:

Nice tank but I will say that you may need more plants or something to cover up some of the bottom of the tank. They like to swim inbetween roots i.e. bogwood with panted anubuis. I have giant vallis that they like to swim inbetween the roots. You will find that the male may head up to the mid level of the tank at times too.

Interesting useless information nonetheless.

And yeah i'm looking for a good plant for the sand in the foreground, but all I can find is grass. I don't want it to look too unnatural.

My cockatoo's seem happy cruising around in front of the glass at the moment, but I need some more plants. (not using co2 or ferts though, plants need to be strong)

Look for a E. bleheri, it's a giant sword plant but it makes good for a background plant, it's pretty big and sprouts a flower, when water conditions are good. You'd look at paying about £7 to £10 for this type of plant but it's got a lot of leaves and your apistos will like it. It's the plant in my tank picture (in my signature), in the middle at the back.

Arent Bumblebees brackish and all the other fish freshwater?

Brachygobius xanthozona will tolerate fresh water, Brachygobius nunus can't tolerate fresh water

Look for a E. bleheri, it's a giant sword plant but it makes good for a background plant, it's pretty big and sprouts a flower, when water conditions are good. You'd look at paying about £7 to £10 for this type of plant but it's got a lot of leaves and your apistos will like it. It's the plant in my tank picture (in my signature), in the middle at the back.

Thanks, i'll take a look at the lfs and online and see what I think of them :good:

Most reactions

Back