Unusual Fish For A 30g

T-RightFish71196

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Title says it all really...
i'm looking for interesting and unusual fish that would fit nicely in a 30g
I would like a group of about 3 mid sized fish that would max out the tank.
i am particularly interested in predators like gars, bichirs, bushfish, butterfly fish etc

Thanks in advance for any and all ideas

I think out of the fish you have mentioned the butterfly fish would be the only one suited to your tank size. Bichirs need at least 55gal IMO (Ornate being the bigger type would need more)

What are the dimensions of your tank? Is your water hard or soft (what PH)? Is the tank cycled? What are your tanks water readings (ammonia, nitrite, nitrates)?

Not too many options for a predator in a 30gal as most predictors tend to be on the large size... One fish that does spring to mind is exodon paradoxus (bucktooth tetra)... You could get a group of say 8-10.. Don't be out off with them being a tetra, they have the body shape of a tetra but that's about as far as the similarity goes :) look them up on YouTube for an idea of them

the tank isn't even set up yet lol, i am just getting ideas. It's measurements are 100x30x40cm or 40x12x16 inches. As for the Exos, i actually was just watching a video showing them being fed! They are an extraordinary fish but i was sort of hoping for something slightly larger (4-6 inches)
Maybe i'l go for a west african setup and put a pair of butterflies in with some congo tetras, upside down cats and a pair of kribs.
Thanks for the reply! btw are there any fish with a similar appearance to either gars or bichirs that WOULD fit in a 30g

Ah right. You could always test your tap water in advance so you know what PH you have :good:

Just so you know exodons can get up to 6 inches but normally don't get passed 4inch so it fits your needs of having a fish that gets from 4-6 inches :) if you were to have them then I wouldn't suggest keeping them with anything else.

Other options you have are a pair of convict cichlids?? They will breed a lot and are usually mean... Actually considered one of the meanest cichlids for their size...

Or you could get a blue acara with a group of say 6-8 larger tetras like bleeding heart or black skirt and then maybe a smaller type plec such as a bristlenose, clown plec, snowball or bulldog :) just make sure the tank ha a sand substrate as its a lot better for plecs. You could even get a small catfish like a whiptail

I can think of anything that resembles a bichir that would be suitable

the tank isn't even set up yet lol, i am just getting ideas. It's measurements are 100x30x40cm or 40x12x16 inches. As for the Exos, i actually was just watching a video showing them being fed! They are an extraordinary fish but i was sort of hoping for something slightly larger (4-6 inches)
Maybe i'l go for a west african setup and put a pair of butterflies in with some congo tetras, upside down cats and a pair of kribs.
Thanks for the reply! btw are there any fish with a similar appearance to either gars or bichirs that WOULD fit in a 30g

Definitely too small for Congo Tetras (Phenacogrammus interruptus), you could possibly do a small group of Yellow Congo Tetras (Alestopetersius caudalis) instead, but you must make sure there are at least two females per male. I had a group of 12 males that killed each other off over several months once they matured, during their infamous jousting battles, that produce, massive flank wounds.

I would look at something like...

1-2 African Butterfly
1 or 3 Leopard Bushfish (not two)
6 Synodontis nigriventis

Ok this is great, thanks for the stocking ideas you two. Cichlids was actually my original idea, i'm just trying to gather different ideas together. I quite like the butterfly/bushfish/Synodontis idea, maybe i'll go with that but whats wrong with having 2 bushfish?

Thanks again!

If you have just two bushfish, one will bully the other constantly. Three spreads the aggression.
As for fish similar to gars, hujeta gars are quite common and stay smallish... http://www.seriouslyfish.com/species/ctenolucius-hujeta/

If you have just two bushfish, one will bully the other constantly. Three spreads the aggression.
As for fish similar to gars, hujeta gars are quite common and stay smallish... http://www.seriouslyfish.com/species/ctenolucius-hujeta/
Your correct in saying these stay relatively small but they are very active and are known to swim straight into the glass damaging their mouth/nose. I wouldn't keep them in anything under a 6ft x 2ft... Or possibly a 5 x 2

Most reactions

Back